Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alarm Reccomendations

Guest EOppegaard

I am in the market for an alarm system for the car. I do not have much knowledge regarding alarm installation, or if the car is already pre-wired for some sort of triggering devices.

All reccomendations would be appreciated.

Eric

1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon "Flash"

Guest Commuter

I have no idea if your vehicle would have any prewiring.

I put a system into my 97 OB. What I really wanted was keyless entry. My year did not come prewired for it. The dealer told me it would be about $450 Cdn to add it! :eek:

I searched around, then finally decided on a Viper alarm/keyless entry/remote start system. It was only a little more than the dealer wanted (installed) just for keyless entry. It has has all the usual features. Hood switch, siren, motion sensor, kill button and switch, etc. Quite a bit of wiring to the whole thing. I certainly wouldn't have tackled it myself. Would have taken me a week!

I'm quite happy with it. Especially the keyless entry part of it. :D

Commuter

Guest Legacy777

how much do you want to spend?

If you want one of the best, I suggest Clifford. They have been around an extremely long time, their technology is quite good, features & options.

I got mine in 96, had it since, been a great alarm, and I'm sure it's saved my car more then once from being broken into.

Guest remarcable

Any alarm can and will be defeated by a determined professional. The best way to secure your car from being stolen is to have a hidden fuel cutoff switch. If you don't press the switch the engine gets no gas.

Combine that with a nice shiny alarm system and you'll be good to go. Oh yes, the club is next to useless. Car thieves usually leave it behind after breaking through it in under 30 seconds. Many club owners come out expecting their car, but they only get their club.

Guest Legacy777

Marc's right,

If a theif want's your car, they will take it, however a good alarm, hell even just a blinky light will detour the majority of crooks. They want something that they can get in, get out, and have a low risk of getting caught.

I did this on a friend's SE-R before she traded up for her spec-v.

Her car had been broken into, so when she got it back I rigged up a small little circuit that consisted of a blinking red LED and a reverse throw relay. I tied it into the accessory, so when the accessories were turned off the blinking light would come on.

You could do this for under 10 bucks I think. Does help if you have some electrical background though.

Guest Sweet82

I have an 01 forester, it is suppose to have a keyless remote as standard equipment. My forester did not have the keyless remote module? You need this before you can upgrade to a Subaru Alarm system.

A dealer offered to install one for $250. I found one on Ebay for $30. My car was pre-wired for it. It was a 3 minute install.:eek: Now I can install a factory alarm, if I can find one on Ebay?

If you have a keyless entry you may be able to do the same.

Ask the dealer!

Glenn,

82 Hatch, no hood, doors or fenders :rollin:

01 Forester, wood dash, fender flares:eek: