Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio/CD Player Upgrades

Guest rtp373

Three questions:

1) Has anyone noticed any improvements in the sound quality with the stock speakers a new after-market stereo? Are both the subaru radio/cassette player and speakers junk ?

2) Can anyone recommend a good low-cost radio/cd player that readily fits into the dash of a 2002 OBW?

3) If the stock speakers are junk, too, what is a good buy for brand name on speakers?

Thanks.

Guest Cougar4

If you are looking to go "cheap" on an upgrade for your car and want the most bang for your buck I would recommend keeping your current deck and put your money in new speakers. This is where you will hear the most difference. Unless there is a feature your current deck does not have that you want, you will have to spend at least $150 just to match what you now have, for just for the deck. If you spend that money on speakers, you should be able to make a nice change in sound quality. I think most decks today offer reasonable sound quality so you have to spend a fair amount of money to get better sound.

I like the Infinity line of speakers myself. There are a lot of good brands out on the market. It is best to go listen to the speakers first before deciding on what to get.

If your budget won't allow you to spend more than $400 I doubt that you hear much of difference by replacing the deck and speakers both.

Glen

Guest TinyClark

I stay home when I want to enjoy my music that much.:lol:

If you have the music turned up loud enough to hear a difference over the road/wind noise, you probably are not aware of anything going on around you, i.e. sirens or horns.

Guest andywatson

My factory CD player died last year, so I installed a JVC 12-disk changer in the trunk and put a JVC head unit in the dash, with the built-in changer controls. I didn't notice much of a change in sound quality just by switching head units. Actually, I think it soundsd better with the stock stereo and stock speakers. I used this JVC head unit in another vehicle a couple years ago with aftermarket Boston Acoustics speakers, and it was awesome. So I'll be putting new speakers in as soon as I get some cash.

So I'd say, if you can't afford a total system overhaul, go with the speaker upgrade first.