Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 to EJ25

SubaruJawn

Thought I would jump in on this a little. I have a 90 Legacy sedan with a twin cam 2.5 in it. I used the 2.5 intake and swapped all the OBD I components onto it. I blocked off the egr ports on the manifold and the head and put a plate over where the egr valve goes. New head gaskets of course but I will still have to do them every 100k or so. I agree with everyone when they say "make it breathe." I removed all the sound baffling out of the passenger fender and swapped in an airbox from a 95 Legacy. The clips are easier to mess with and you have to run the JECS airflow instead of the Hitachi anyway. 1990 5-speeds used a Hitachi Idle Speed Control, Airflow Meter and Computer. To get everything to talk to each other I had to use 1992 and newer Idle Speed, 95 Airflow and 91 Auto computer. The only problem with this is that the computer sees the neutral switch and ups the idle when I put it in gear. Have to put a jumper wire on the neutral input so it always thinks it's in gear. Borla header, custom center pipe and Legacy Turbo muffler. Kept one cat for now. I used Delta cams and if I had it to do over again I might not. Lot's of power at 3500 and above but less torque. Also used light flywheel and crank pulley. Revs instantly. Will definitely run a stock WRX. RS Wheels, turbo brakes, Whiteline swaybars, LSD out of LL Bean Outback, gas struts, etc. etc.

I think delta's price for cams is more than fair. I don't have them, but I would use them. Price some of the other cams for subies like tomei or BC and get ready for a shock!

For sure, their prices are good and their turnaround is pretty good as well. My only gripe is that I had to order valve shims from Subaru that were right at the limit. If the valve clearances were any bigger I would have had to have something custom made. I don't know if they weld the cams before they regrind them but a little more material might be nice.

OK, my turn...

Most people that tell you to not use a phase2 EJ25 do not even own one. 30hp is more power, period. My old Impreza(1.8) and my new '95 Impreza(2.2) project run the phase2 EJ25.

I also used the original vehicles engine harness and components. I also ran a few other things to make it better. Intake, exhaust, lightened flywheel, PP6 piggyback, Delta 1000 grind cams. 160/158 at the wheels seems to be an upgrade to me.

No head gasket issues. Still gets 28 mpg on the highway.

Each swap is a little different than the next. The year of the donor motor. The year of your project. All must be considered when building a swapped car.

MT, sounds like you got the 2000 grind. If you were looking for torque you should have done the 1000 grind. With the DOHC motors we have started doing the cams several different ways. Either with new valves(longer stems)($500) or with welded lobes($600.00) or with the head packages we offer. Shimming can be a problem and that is why we sell them this way now.

And as the pricing goes... we do offer "specials" from time to time. There are a few ways to keep costs down. Send us your cams and we do all the work to your cams and that way you do not have a core charge. $200.00 is one fo the cheapest mods you can do to a Subaru engine. Has anyone priced an intake or exhaust system lately. And, cams give more power/dollar than any single mod excpet a turbo upgrade. We have also done sort of a lay-a-way program. Make small payments and when you are paid up we send you out your cams.

As far as the swap goes, any improvement is just that... an improvement! The 2.2's are bullet-proof but they are not indestructable! I have seen idler/tensioner pulleys eat themselves. Harmonic balancers seperate and even come off. The MAFs go bad all the time. They even blow HG's from time to time. Everything has an upgrade. EA81 < EJ22 and EJ22 < EJ25 and EJ25 < Turbo swap. Everything is relative.

Just remember, no matter what you do... enjoy the ride!

Edited by Qman