Ultimate Subaru Message Board

blew up an EJ22 Impreza motor

Guest TurboooooMike

My nephew blew the motor in his EJ22. It overheated on the highway, he kept going until it died and now it had all kinds of head and bottom end noise. Its cooked.

We combed the local junkyards but cant find a motor. Is there a Subie shop that would do a lot of swaps or a big Subie junkyard somewhere with tons of EJ22 motors sitting around that we could have shipped from?

What are his options in terms of motors? I assume the 2.5, even with the tranny, would have different mounts and ECU and drivetrain, right? If it was a common swap I havent heard of them. Any other motor choices?

We're in Rockland/Orange (NY) and north NJ area. Thanks.

Guest wrxsubaru

what year is the impreza? depending in the year a 2.5 liter would have the same driveline as the 2.2 liter. I would not swap a 2.5 liter into the impreza because of the relibility issues it has, (piston slap, and blowing head gaskets). You could swap in a 2.2 liter turbo, from a legacy turbo 91-94 or a 2 liter turbo. The 2 liter tubo ej20t would be a good swap, a power full engine 227 horse us spec thats relible.The 2.2 liter turbo would also be a good swap fairly power full 160 horse power, and very relible. Both of these engines could be swaped into the egsisting drive train if the impreza was the right year, but diffrent years fro the diffrent engines. Both of these engines would require a new CPU. Our you could swap in a normal 2.2 liter with a lot less work, and probley cheaper. I dont know of any good subaru engine shops out on the east coast because i live on the west coast.