Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all-

Had the infamous "clunk/rattle" in my steering/front suspension and I narrowed it down to the u-joint (I think). I ordered the new part, 34160AC030, based on this endwrench tech bulletin:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/SteerInsidEWFall05.pdf

I have a 97 legacy L wagon, not outback, so that should be the right one. Anyway, I got the part and it's a full two inches longer than the one I took off. I can't see any way that it fits on my car. I know there's a longer and shorter version for the outback and legacy respectively. But all the packing info I have, including the original label from Subaru, has the part number for the "correct" piece. I'm stumped. I know some people on this board have done this repair - I've been reading the old threads for a while. Can anyone chime in and let me know that I'm not crazy and I have the wrong part? I'm attaching a pic below.

Thanks,

Ned

photolr.jpg

I think you have the right part, but the wrong part number. My reasoning is I suspect a change in to the part number in mid-model-year. I may be completely wrong on this, but, have seen other similar issues where this was the explanation. It appears as though you have the longer Outback model part.

Edited by valvestem

Well, the tech bulletin referenced above says:

1995 through 1999 Models

To address this condition, a Steering Universal

Joint With Damper is available in two lengths:

Legacy Models: Part Number 34160AC030

(shorter length)

Outback Models: Part Number 34160AC090

(longer length)

And the part number on all the packing etc is "030." No number on the part itself, of course. I'm just wondering if maybe the "with Damper" part indicates that it will be a different size than the one I'm replacing.

I'd try calling your nearby Subaru dealer or stop in and ask a service man what is up with the part you have. They probably or should know in a heartbeat what to do. Anyway you can access the shorter new part to do a comparo with the one removed?

Another thought is that the reference article from endwrench has the part numbers reversed.

I think you were given the wrong part to be honest after my research.

Also here is a link to a post on this forum that may help, I did not read it through completely, so it may be the same info.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5653

Also here is the TSB link:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/tsb/04-09-01_tsb.pdf

Edited by valvestem