Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heavy vibrations when braking

someguy

Hi All.

When traveling at 55 mp/h or more and I put my foot on the brake my steering wheel/steering column starts shuddering so bad I almost loose control of the car.

I have been told that my brake discs need to be machined but I have also been told by others it could be my steering rack.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

Im sick of people getting in my car and thinking they are about to die :lol:

Thanks

(p.s its a 1990 DL wagon)

Edited by someguy

I can tell you from experience that this is a prblem with your rotors. On that car it is cheaper to go and buy new rotors at the local parts house and replace them in your driveway. The last time I bought some they were about 25.00 each. Turning them requires a mechanic with an on the car lathe or the ability to cut truck rotors due to the large center hole. I found that cutting them here in Richmond costs about 25 to 30.00 each. Just too much of a hassle, so I replaced them and my problem was gone.

Good Luck

I can tell you from experience that this is a prblem with your rotors. On that car it is cheaper to go and buy new rotors at the local parts house and replace them in your driveway. The last time I bought some they were about 25.00 each. Turning them requires a mechanic with an on the car lathe or the ability to cut truck rotors due to the large center hole. I found that cutting them here in Richmond costs about 25 to 30.00 each. Just too much of a hassle, so I replaced them and my problem was gone.

Good Luck

Thanks.

I might go up to the wreckers and grab some off another DL if there are any in decent condition.

Edited by someguy

Hi All.

When traveling at 55 mp/h or more and I put my foot on the brake my steering wheel/steering column starts shuddering so bad I almost loose control of the car.

I have been told that my brake discs need to be machined but I have also been told by others it could be my steering rack.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

Im sick of people getting in my car and thinking they are about to die :lol:

Thanks

(p.s its a 1990 DL wagon)

Hi, Just a quick check on the Big nut on the front axles,, Mine had "worked loose" a little and caused a bad shudder like that , also a noise when driving that was intermittant, but worse in turns.

LOL