Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22T swap wiring questions

subiekid

I am hoping maybe someone has experienced this issue before. I have a 91 legacy turbo (daily driver) and am putting the engine into my 88 wagon.

So... I bought another ej22t harness and ended up only receiving the under dash portion (Nothing past the super multiple junction). I had a 90 n/a complete harness, so I used the section from the SMJ to the engine with the f47 ecu plug and added the pressure sol wire and wastegate control. Engine connectors (all rectangle/square, no round connector) and wire colors matched my 91 turbo harness on all 3 engine plugs so I did not re-pin anything on f25, 26, or 27.

I plugged this into my legacy and it will start and run but seems to be in limp mode throwing codes for maf, and tps. There is no throttle control, it runs ok with the throttle barely open, but obviously the ecu is not getting data from maf or tps. If I unplug the maf, no change (power is at maf plug, ground as well) If I unplug the tps, engine dies.

Now for the weird part, I can pull codes with the black connectors, but as soon as I plug in the green test connectors, engine dies. I must have the power or grounds screwed up (or out of sequence.... I don't know if that makes any difference. I'm just laying my harness over the fender and hot wiring it to the battery for power with a few extra grounds to the engine and body along with ecu grounds of coarse)

I know for a fact that the ecu is good as well as all sensors (I drive the car daily, code free) so I screwed something up in my harness thinning or hopefully just have a ground issue or something.

Anyone have any thoughts???:confused:

Thanks,

Scott

Nobody?? It's the same as n/a just a few extra wires and a little repining at the ecu (if you use a n/a harness for turbo... not recommended).

I just wonder about the green test connectors killing the car, I back probed for power on either side and there is nothing there but as soon as I touch them together it cuts spark or power to the injectors or something. I obviously cut the wire that branched off to the TCU, but I don't see that being a problem...... right?

The other problems shouldn't take too long to sort out, hopefully this weekend. I only have about 5 hrs in the whole project so I have not put in too much diag time.

To the top!

Scott

The cam & crank sensors are wired backwards between the non-turbo & turbo engines. If I understand how you did the wiring, all you should need to do is swap the positive pins for the cam & crank sensors.

Have you checked the wiring for all pins at the ECU to make sure they have continuity to the sensor they are supposed to be wired to?

The under dash portion of the harness is turbo. The section from the SMJ to the engine including the f47ecu connector is non turbo. I checked the cam and crank and they were in the correct pins (will dbl check to be sure).

A continuity check from one end to the other sounds like a plan to me, that way I can eliminate each sensor one at a time. Thanks Josh!

Does anyone have any good diagrams of the engine connectors F25, f26, and f27? It seems like some grounds are white which is confusing to me.

Anyway, I will update with what I find.

Scott

It's alive!!

The Maf signal wire came loose..... oops. Needless to say, it runs normal (much better) now.

I still have 2 codes (but no check eng. light): 31 Throttle sensor and 49 Wrong Maf.

I'm not positive (it's been awhile), but the 31 has been a phantom code since I got the legacy. It functions fine and I have tried a few different TPS's (that all test good) with no resolution. When I bought the 2nd wiring harness with ecu I put the "new" (to me) ecu in and the code has since disappeared. Now that I know the wiring is correct, I will try the other ecu on my "thinned" harness to see if the same thing happens.

The 49 on the other hand doesn't make sense to me... It's the original factory maf running on the stock original ecu. Maybe it just needs to learn?????? Either way as soon as revtronics gets done with the stage 3 chip, then I can run my vf39 and jecs MAF. Until then anyone got any ideas?

Thanks to all for your input!

Scott

Edited by subiekid