Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Outback Spec Questions (Opt Speed, Max Speed, etc)

I was just curious if anyone knew what the max speed, opt speed (or rpms) for best gas mileage, and is there a governor (if so what is it set at) of a 5-Speed Manual 2.5L 99 Subaru Outback.

I dont speed much but I have owned this Subaru for a couple of years and I have always wondered what those were set at. That and whenever I try to search for answers all I get is car ads... stupid internet.

Let me know if you need more info.

Maintenance kinda depends on what you've done to it and when. The timing belt should have been done at 100k. That's the biggest concern with the 2.5, next would be the head gaskets. If they've been done then you shouldn't have to worry about much beyond regular fluid (motor, trans, rear diff, antifreeze, brake) and filter changes. It's a good idea to throw a power steering fluid flush in there every now and then too.

Top speed, not real sure. Most cars are limited to around 120-130mph range. Best fuel efficiency is gonna be under 3000 rpm in 5th gear.