Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Windshield Wiper Replacement...?

My daily driver is a 1993 Loyale 2WD, sedan, 1.8L EA82.

I am having a bit of trouble with the windshield wipers. Seems that it should be self-explanitory as to how to remove and install a new set. It looks like they are rivots holding them inplace..? There is also a set of tiny philips head screws holding a small portion of the arm in place..? I just bought this car last May, so wiper blades hasn't been an issue, until now.

After flipping through the owners manual, all it describes to do is change out the actual rubber blade itself. I don't know where i could purchase just the rubber blade.? I haven't seen that in many years. Anyone have any suggestions? I have already bought a pair of pretty decent wipers, would hate to have to return them. Does the dealer still sell the actual replacement?

Need some help here guys/gals! Thanks in advance.

There are different methods of holding the arms on, depending on the arm. The screws hold your current arms on. The new ones may have adapters that take the screws, or clips that press on the arms and snap into place.

There should be instructions with the arms, especially if they use some weird system to hold them in place.

What did happen to replacement blades (rubber only)? Time was you could buy the rubbers for a couple of bucks, but now, you have to by the whole arm for about 3X as much money. Kind of like sealed beam headlights, they were too cheap, so now the car manufacturers make sure a rock in the headlamp is a $200 disaster, instead of a $10 PITA. Wipers are now minimum $10 each, and there is a good chance they will fling themselves off the car trhe first time they are used because the fancy clip system doesn't work, leaving you blind in the rainstorm with a good scratch on the windshield.