Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Xt6 vw conversion

Nshomer

I have xt6 engine in a 1979 vw campervan my problem is the flywheel is a vw with no timing marks. How do i reinstall new belts? The dist has also been moved to run off the passenger side cam pully. Can't make it run by placing #1 top up then installing the belts to the marks on the covers ??

The timing belts are not aligned with TDC on this engine. If you had the original flywheel you could see how far off the belt marks are in degrees from the TDC marks and maybe set it that way.

Something also tells me that there's a mark on the crank pulley... Did you have belts on it before? Why not just line up the cams before you pull the old belts off and don't move anything?

Got the timing belts figured out but the injectors are not delivering fuel plenty of fuel pressure nothing has changed with the execption the new engine had the inuction system on with injectors that we used they are not clicking ? Triple checked all the wires all are fine? On my way from Alaska to Mexico and am stuck in Arizona till I get it running

check to see if the distributor is working, putting the signal out since it is the crank angle sensor.

when you install the belts, you do line up the first belt with the dot up. BUT you have to ROATATE CRANK 360 deg before installing the 2nd belt dot up. the first cam will be pointing down after you do this.

from there, rotate the crank again and then go for the timing marks.

if you do the belts correctly, the 2nd belt's cam dot will be pointing to the corner on the valve cover.

try this article. this pertains to 4 cyl but the rotation sequences are the same

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50768