Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you replace it by itself (w/o replacing the compressor)?

I decided that the sound of metal scraping wasn't a good noise to be coming from the engine, so I investigated and found the a/c idler pulley was undoubtedly on its way out. While attempting to check it however, my brain stopped functioning and I started undoing the long bolt without undoing the pulley bolt first and broke the plastic mounting piece.:mad: In the process of dealing with that problem I figured I'd spin the compressor pulley since it was there and no longer attached to the crankshaft.

The pulley spins pretty freely, but sounds only slightly better than the idler pulley. The clutch part of the compressor spins relatively easily, although you can definitely tell it's connected to something. I'm assuming the clutch part is alright, but the pulley (bearing) might be dying. I'd prefer not to have to replace the compressor or clutch mechanism if I don't have to, which leads me to my question.....

Can you replace the compressor pulley without replacing the compressor entirely?

It CAN be done, but quite frankly, you're likely to be better off replacing the whole compressor. I don't know why it should be that way, but every time I've changed a compressor clutch, I have to do the compressor a few months later. Might as well just do the compressor at the beginning and skip the intermediate headache.

It CAN be done, but quite frankly, you're likely to be better off replacing the whole compressor. I don't know why it should be that way, but every time I've changed a compressor clutch, I have to do the compressor a few months later. Might as well just do the compressor at the beginning and skip the intermediate headache.

Hmmm... well, like I said the clutch felt fine (whatever good that might mean for the compressor), so if it can survive through this semester I'd prefer not to have to tackle it yet. On the other hand, how much of a pita is it to replace? If I were in VA still I'd probably just say screw it and just run it w/o AC but FL makes that choice a little harder.

Which ever way you decide to go, I have a spare compressor and I can pull the clutch for you. Let me know if you need the parts.

Cool, thanks! :) I'll probably look into the junkyard first though -- I'm assuming if it comes down to the compressor, shipping might be a nice chunk. Either way, I'll let you know!

On the other hand, how much of a pita is it to replace? If I were in VA still I'd probably just say screw it and just run it w/o AC but FL makes that choice a little harder.

I tend to look at these things from the standpoint of having to do it at work. A/C is one of the things we do. Swapping the pulley means evacuating the system, removing the compressor, wrestling the old clutch off, wrestling the new clutch on, reinstalling the compressor and recharging the system. So its all the same labor as replacing the compressor, but with the added work of swapping the clutch too.

Functionally, doing the swap isn't THAT big of a deal on these. It requires a good strap wrench and an impact gun. You just have to be careful because the clutch is spring loaded and there are a few small parts in there that you don't want to loose. Its not under a ton of spring pressure or anything, just be real careful.