Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A couple of questions here: 96 OBW 2.5. When I removed the valve covers last time to replace the gaskets for oil leak, I also needed to replace the plugs. So I removed the plugs first, then removed the covers. Now 32,000 miles later, the valve covers are leaking again but it's not time to replace the plugs yet. Can I easily remove the covers to replace the gaskets without removing the plugs? I also plan to replace the smaller gaskets around the plug holes. Do you replace the 12 grommets for the valve cover bolts? These 12 little things cost 3.5 each.

Edited by vasy

More than likely, your leak is coming from the grommets and not the gasket. I'd suggest just replacing the grommets first and see if that fixes your leak.

Unless the gasket was bad or incorrectly installed, it should still be good at only 32,000 miles of use.

Regarding the spark plugs, I don't see why you would have to remove them to do the work on the grommets or gasket.