Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbos motors oh my!

kd7dej

I was just looking around the different forums on this site and others. I have dreams, but they are just dreams and will never probably happen. I have a 1996 Legacy Wagon! I was wondering if anybody has ever but a EJ257 into one of these? Also I was drooling at the EJ20T motor which is the single turbo motor outside the US? Then I saw a post of someone who said there is no EJ20T motor, just and EJ20G and EJ20(some other letter) and put one of those in a legacy?

Just curious........?

Thanks.

Of course if you had the money to do these mods I don't see why you wouldn't just buy a WRX STI, unless you wanted the cargo space of the wagon?

I was just looking around the different forums on this site and others. I have dreams, but they are just dreams and will never probably happen. I have a 1996 Legacy Wagon! I was wondering if anybody has ever but a EJ257 into one of these? Also I was drooling at the EJ20T motor which is the single turbo motor outside the US? Then I saw a post of someone who said there is no EJ20T motor, just and EJ20G and EJ20(some other letter) and put one of those in a legacy?

Just curious........?

Thanks.

Of course if you had the money to do these mods I don't see why you wouldn't just buy a WRX STI, unless you wanted the cargo space of the wagon?

Not sure about a 1996 Legacy, but it's bound to have been done. There's a gen 1 89' Lego down south with a EJ257 in it - pretty quick I believe.

If you wiki "EJ Engine" you'll see that the EJ20T is just a backyard mechanics slogan for a turbo EJ20 - same as the EJ20TT is slang for a twin turbo EJ20. Look at Wikipedia - it'll put you right.

Anyone can buy a STI - they're cheap, and easy to find (at least in my neck of the woods - I can pick up a 1996 STI for around $6 - 8k these days) but everyone's got one, and not everyone wants to be the same.

Besides, the old EA82s and EA81s are light as fuck, and 250hp in one turns it into a rocket. None of these Honda boyracers pull up besides an old-rump roast wagon and expect to be absolutely blown out of the water, but it happens, and when it does, its priceless.

Plus - it's fun, it's unique, it's do-able - and since when has backyard mechanics ever been about making sense? :P

So do all EJ20's have at least one turbo? I just have an extra Legacy sitting around, looks good, runs good, but have time on my hands.

Not all of them no. I had a Gen 1 89' Legacy that was non-turbo DOHC - they're good for 150hp if I remember correctly. Went very well until the timing belt snapped 40,000km prematurely.

If you're from the states, it's likely you've never seen an EJ20, as I don't think they were imported or built in the states. Over in RHD countries like NZ and Aus the majority of Subaru's are 2.0l, and the EJ22s are a minority in a big way over here.

Yes, it has been done. Check out http://sl-i.net/FORUM/ for more info on swapped Legacies. There are actually quite a few on there.

The biggest question is are you in the states or not? If so, then your options are a little more limited. Not that they're bad, but you'll want to stay with a USDM drivetrain unless you want to deal with a JDM ECU (done before, just more of a hassle). The EJ257 is, in my opinion, a better engine than the turbo EJ20. The USDM EJ20s were all single turbo; no NA or TT EJ20 made it to the states. The EJ25 turbos (Bajas, late model WRXs, STis, Foresters, etc.) produce more torque and have less lag. They tend to be more expensive, but if you're going to swap, you might as well go all out.