Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Chaps

Time to dive into the technical forums...

On a 2004 Outback SE wagon, petrol / 5 spd manual, 95K miles - vehicle was just serviced, and technician reported a squeaking noise in front end of transmission. He assumed it might be the throwout bearing, and so removed the gearbox, replaced the TOB, and re-assembled - only to find the noise is still there. While in there, he said the clutch looked 'near new', and as such, did not replace either the pressure plate or disc.

Digging through this BB's archives, I learned about this repair sleeve kit (shown in link below). I believe this goes on the input shaft of the transmission, correct ?

Does anyone have experience with these kits ? What symptom are they intended to treat ?

The squeak is heard when the clutch pedal is first depressed, and load is placed on the TOB. It soon stops as you continue depressing the pedal, and the TOB is fully loaded against the pressure plate fingers.

Any other culprits ? Pilot bearing ? First bearing on input shaft ?

Technician said he did not believe that the noise pointed towards any imminent, serious problem - said he would happily jump in the car today and drive to the south of France - but the worry is that something is on the way out, which eventually lead to a more ££ failure...

Thanks in advance for any opinions...

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=759

Edited by garwood1
forgot link like an idiot...

The sleeve is meant to help a worn transmission snout. The TOB ride/slides along the snout of the transmission. If it gets heavily grooved or worn, that can create issues with the TOB. This sleeve/kit is meant to put a new wearing surface (sleeve) over the transmission snout and provides a "new" surface for the slightly larger TOB to ride upon.

When your mechanic put everything back together, I'm assuming he greased all the joints and pivot points of the clutch fork real well? I think a pilot bearing would give you a different noise/issue if that was the culprit.