Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy L - Stalling w/ Clutch In & RPMs <1k

Here's a strange issue that has only happened twice since I got the care about six months ago...

Shortly are buying the wagon I had a new clutch put in because the old one was shot. First time driving on a brand new clutch took some getting used to, and I stalled it more than once. One of those times, starting from a full stop at a light and stalling it, I restarted and kept going... the next time I put in the clutch when slowing down the car stalled when the rpms dropped below 1k. It continued to stall every time I would put in the clutch when getting ready to slow down or stop and I had to restart it each time.

Once I got it home I decided to wait it out and see if it would do this the next day, which it didn't. This never happened again until about a month ago. Started out the exact same way, with me unintentionally stalling at a light, and after sitting overnight did not repeat since.

So the question is, why would the car stall every time the rpms drop after first stalling it accidentally? Is this something I should be worried about? Maybe a problem with the clutch install job?

Thanks in advance, and I hope this makes sense :rolleyes:.

That really doesn't make any sense. I just don't see any reason it would do that. :confused:

My best guess would be something with the idle control motor. Maybe it's sticking there's some sensor that is preventing it from responding right away to the change in RPMs when the pedal is depressed.

It's pretty mysterious to me too :lol: ...And as long as I don't stall it I should be fine :P. But then it doesn't happen every time either, because I've stalled the car plenty of times without it doing that.

The car's due for some work in the next few weeks anyway, so I'll see if they can track down this issue at all.

Edited by mentis

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with my mechanic yesterday, and he said that it's possible the clutch might have gotten hot and then stuck to the flywheel. That would explain why it would continue stalling, and also why the problem would go away after letting the car cool down. They're going to see if the clutch needs adjusting to make sure...

EDIT: So the clutch did need adjusting, which they took care of the other day. It feels a bit better, and now I just have to watch my technique to hopefully not make that happen again ^^;

Edited by mentis