Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem: oil flooded throttle body; plz help

I did a little research myself on google and to the best of my abilities, I think I must rebuild the engine. Im not a car person, so keep the jargon down low, please. I flipped my Subaru Outback Legacy 98. Afterwards I was told that I needed to clean out the air flow thing that would sit in the middle towards the back. Air intake thingy?? sorry, guys.... Its not the air filter, but connected to it. I believe that the air filter is on the left side connected to the big air box Im trying to describe.

So I was told to clean it out. I took it off and found that there is oil clogged in what I believe is called the throttle body. Now considering that I dont know what a throttle body is, its the direct main metal connector which is about 4 inches in diameter coming perfectly centered from the back side (where the air thing is) to the front (where the big metal thing is that I call the throttle body).

So Im under the suspicion that theres no way to clean out the oil from the throttle body without rebuilding the engine. Theres oil all in the throttle body and the air intake. So what do you think?

I appreciate the help and Im sorry I dont know anything about whats going on.

First, drain all the oil and add fresh.

Pull the spark plugs out and wire brush them. Leave them out for a bit.

Get a can of spray carb/FI cleaner.

Open the throttle and spray down the inside with the cleaner. Wipe out what you can with rags.

Disconnect the Coil connector, so the coil can't spark. Then hit the key to crank the motor over for 10 secs or so. Spray the intake agian. Repeat 4 or 5 times or until you've washed away all the oil.

Now reinstall the plugs, connect the coil, install the air intake and start he car. Might run rough for a few minutes, but it should smooth out.

Then worry about all the body damage that was surely caused by flipping your car. :rolleyes:

I agree. If the engine was turned upside down and you just got oil on everything, clean it up with carb cleaner. No need to rebuild unless a lot more happened that you aren't telling us. Was it upside down for a long time or did it roll right over?

Directly below where the throttle body (The metal thingy) attaches to the black plastic thingy there are a couple of large diameter black hoses that come from either side of the engine. When I had my engine on a stand, I had to plug these up to keep residual oil from going all over the garage every time I rotated it 90 degrees. I bet oil just came down those 2 hoses and into the throttle body. Even if it sat for a while upside down it will just be more of a mess to clean up. Not sure, though...

Edited by BluetoE

Buy a repair manual from the auto parts store. It will not only help you identify what's what, it will also make it possible to ask and understand your questions/responses and aid in cleaning things up.

Remember, if you can read English you can work on cars.

Will-