Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need advice for minor Torque Bind issue.

It seems to me that you are also having a problem with the clutches on the rear drive system. You can try several flushes and if that doesn't work, you will have to replace those. Not a fun thing to do twice, but I am looking at that possibility too.

anything is possible. does the fwd light

come on when you put in the fuse?

how did the fluid look?

there are 2 more likely possibilities in my opinion: something else is causing what ever it is that you are feeling or you are overly sensitive to the issue.

Ya, the light comes on and stays on when the fuse is in.

Fluid looked good. And when I had the tranny flushed back in July the shop said things looked good. That was before I swapped the drum and housing. I thought about the oversensitivity thing....I've fallen victim to that before, but there's def something that isn't quite right. You may be right about having to wait it out.

It seems to me that you are also having a problem with the clutches on the rear drive system. You can try several flushes and if that doesn't work, you will have to replace those. Not a fun thing to do twice, but I am looking at that possibility too.

When you say the clutches in the rear drive, are you taking about the rings in the driven drum that cause the wear grooves in the drive drum? I would have suspected something like that had I reused the rear housing from the tranny. But, I used the rear housing from the tranny I took out of the car when I swapped trannys....which had no torque bind, just tranny failure due to the bands falling apart and causing the system to clog. I did, however, use the duty C from the replacement tranny....which was the on that had TB.

Here's a quick recap of what happened. Sister had car, tranny went bad, I got car, found replacement tranny, swapped trannys, discovered TB, had tranny flushed/serviced, didn't cure TB, put in FWD fuse, no TB and FWD light on all the time, pulled drive drum and rear housing from old tranny, removed grooves, swapped drum and housing onto replacement tranny (with Duty C from replacement tranny), still have minor issues.

The old tranny had NO problems other than the sudden tranny failure. So I figure that either the replacement tranny has issues that are not in the rear drive system or the Duty C is going bad. I also wonder about the Duty C because of the condition of the drive drum I pulled out of the replacement tranny. It had a much worse and different wear pattern than the drum I pulled from the old tranny. I'll have to find a picture and post it. The only thing I noticed that was different about the parts I pulled from the old tranny was the 2 seals on the shaft...they were black, not white. But they seemed fully intact.

Sorry about the novel. I really appreciate you guys helping me out on this. I just don't want to tear back into it and waste my time/$ fixing the wrong thing or nothing. I've got an EJ swap to finish and a bunch of home projects to work on too.

Tyler

I was having TB issues with a 96 legacy that I picked up from my brother (it had died - fuel pump/cat/O2 sensor issues)

Flushed tranny fluid 3X and added lubeguard (got at O'Reilly's) in the red bottle.

Helped a little, but still had TB. Also tranny shifted hard from 1-2, and shifted erratically at times ever since I got it running.

Took off the battery end of the ground and cleaned it and added auxiliary grounds to the chassis and engine - didn't solve problem.

A couple of weeks ago I took off the ground cable on the started end and wire brushed the contact surfaces and tightned. Ohmed the cable out at the same time and was good. I also removed the dash and removed all the connectors to replace the dash lights while I had the tools out.

Now no more hard shift and no more TB. They both went away at the same time, so I don't think it was the tranny flushing. So I don't know if it was a ground issue, and I don't know if the dash panel has a speed sensor circuit in it that could affect shifting. The problem has not re-surfaced for a couple of weeks now, I hope I have it fixed.

Helped a little, but still had TB. Also tranny shifted hard from 1-2, and shifted erratically at times ever since I got it running.

I have that hard shifting issue from 1-2, but only when the car is cold. And once it's made the shift the 1st time, it's smooth from then on. I'll check the grounds and see what I find there. I had a 99 OBW years ago that started having major tranny problems and it was due to a wiring problem under the dash. I didn't know #$## about cars at the time so I got overwhelmed and just got rid of the car. Kinda wish I still had that thing.