Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is a 95 OBW ej22. Got in, turned the key, started right up then died. After that nothing.

I sprayed starter fluid in it and it would run for a few seconds.

Took off the fuel line at the filter and turned on the switch and nothing comes out.

Which wires are hot and ground in the plug at the fuel pump

I would start by checking the connector under the passenger seat and see if it looks burnt. Sometimes the connection can get hot, cause an arc and fail.

Also, I would check the relay. You can connect the green diagnostic connectors, which should cycle the relay, so you can hear if they are working or not.

I hooked up the green connectors and turned on the switch but I can't tell which relay is clicking, but i didn't hear any activity near the fuel pump. I found 2 black with gray dots wires hanging near the green plugs with spade ends that looked like they were pulled out of a plug but couldn't figure out where after looking at connections and counting wires.

I removed the fuel pump and hooked up jump wires to the terminals on the pump motor..........nothing.

Then turned on the ign switch and checked the plug at the pump for power at the heavier gauge wires that go to the pump motor. I got zero. I did get 12 volts at the wires that go to the sending unit.

Now what?

When you tested for voltage on the plug going to the pump, were the green connectors still connected?

The ECU only energizes the fuel pump relay for about 2-3 seconds to pressure up the fuel system, and then turns off until the engine actually starts.

With the green diagnostic connectors connected, the ECU will cycle the relay and you should see 12v going on and off at the plug near the fuel pump.

If you still don't see any voltage, I would then try and track down the fuel pump relay and check it.

When you tested for voltage on the plug going to the pump, were the green connectors still connected?

The ECU only energizes the fuel pump relay for about 2-3 seconds to pressure up the fuel system, and then turns off until the engine actually starts.

With the green diagnostic connectors connected, the ECU will cycle the relay and you should see 12v going on and off at the plug near the fuel pump.

If you still don't see any voltage, I would then try and track down the fuel pump relay and check it.

Duh, I didn't think about the relay function, I'll go out and check it again. I'm fighting 4 vehicles at once, so frustration is winning right now. Be back in a few. Thanks for the help.

I have a good known good pump if you are interested. I can have it cleaned and boxed up and to you over the weekend. I know new ones are fairly expensive.

Thanks, I had to bite the bullet and buy a new one to get back on the road today.