Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C pulser amplifier on Loyale: Where??

Hi. Trying to get A/C going on a 93 Loyale and can't locate the so-called A/C amplifier,also known as a pulser amplifier.Haynes and Chiltons say nothing as to where they are. Anyone know?

Also have no info on how to check the low pressure A/C switch, which is a 4 terminal job. It may be bad but I don't know how to check it. Help, please. Jim

Hi. Trying to get A/C going on a 93 Loyale and can't locate the so-called A/C amplifier,also known as a pulser amplifier.Haynes and Chiltons say nothing as to where they are. Anyone know?

Also have no info on how to check the low pressure A/C switch, which is a 4 terminal job. It may be bad but I don't know how to check it. Help, please. Jim

hi,

i have had the same trouble on my 87, the amplifier is behind the glove box mounted to the side of the evap box. there are 2 versions, at least in 87 there was, Hitachi systems and matsu************a systems, need the right one if replacing it. the FSM has a lot of info on both systems but your 93 may be some other system. on mine there is even 1 wire from the ecm that goes to the a/c system, i tried to follow the fsm manual and diagrams but my electrical knowledge was not up to the task and was unable to make mine work with the button on the panel. i push the a/c button and got blower fan and proper vents but no a/c clutch and increased idle sol, i did see those were on the same circuit on mine so i put in a separate switch for that function and have working a/c but have to remember to turn it off. all in all i believe my amplifier or that pressure switch is at fault but when i found that it could be the ecm i quit and wired in another switch and enjoyed the cool .

Thanks. I may have to give up and hot wire it. Doing that now, but it bypasses literally every electrical system. I can also bypass it by grounding one side of the A/C relay. In so doing, the idle-up function seems to work, at least. It blows way cold. Wish I could find the real culprit. How do you get into the area where the A/C switch is? Probably with a long probe through the tail pipe.....:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly is or isn't working with your AC? I don't really know what your issue is. Is it just not turning on when you press the "AC" button on the dash? There is a micro switch that is located down my the drivers foot well that is pressed by the vents arm when you press the "AC" or "defrost" button on the dash. This is what turns the AC on. Have you found this switch and tested it?

Sounds like this switch might be bad. If you can turn the AC on my "hot wiring" it (whatever that entails), then your AC is still good, you just need to find the piece that broke. My guess is it might be the switch. I replaced my micro switch with a relay and switch on the dash. This way I get cold/dry air no matter what vents my ventilation system is set too. Much better. Defrosts my windows better, while still being able to have heat on your legs. MUCH better in the winter.

Hope that helps!

I was unaware of that microswitch. I will look for it next. By 'hotwiring' the system, all I did was unplug the clutch wire and run it to a cigarette plug to force 12v to the clutch so it will engage. Thermally, it works great. It's just trying to get the controls to instruct the clutch to kick in. So, if I understand correctly, this microswitch detects a properly opened vent? I'll poke around the foot well area. Thanks! There just isn't any info out there on where these various pieces are. I still can't find the A/C pulser amplifier. Appreciate the help.

The switch is attached to the "wall" right next to the gas pedal. Actually, a little farther back, but it's pretty noticeable. It's a really cheesy way to control it, but it works. When the vents are lined up properly, either on defrost or AC, it press the switch, which then turns on the AC system. The switch just activates the relay I believe. It's only rated for like 3amps, so that tells me that it just powers the relay.

Have you tested the relay? I believe it's located on the passenger strut tower in the engine compartment. Test it out as well. You should be able to activate the relay by running power to the appropriate wire. Maybe your relay is going out?

My guess is it's one of those two things, since you can get the clutch to come on.

Let me know if I can help you out anymore!

• Like 1

I will look for that microswitch tomorrow. Big help, and thanks! As for the A/C relay, I did find it next to the right strut tower, and found the red/black wire (I think that was it) and grounded it, which turned on the A/C and I think even kicked up the idle. Can't quite remember, but at any rate, the A/C relay seems to work fine. If all else fails, I should be able to run a switch to the dash that will ground one side of the relay coil, but I'm not sure what systems that would bypass.

Thanks!