Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ran into 2 problems right away - first one (dealership plans to make good on it) is that I left and the brakes were shot. Second one, they sold me the car with just the valet key, no master key, no keyless fobs, and either of the code tags. I haven't actually spoken to anyone at the dealer yet - but i'm essentially stuck at the moment since I can't even create additional keys without the tags.

Is there a way to retrieve these codes? The dealer mentioned $159 per key when I initially asked - but I'm trying to see if I can possibly get a better deal. No point in even buying the keyless blank yet since all I have is a valet key to copy.

Besides those two hopefully minor issues, I'm loving the car. :)

I would ask the dealer to supply the proper master key for your car unless they told you up front it would be extra. They should make good on it or at least give it to you at a substantial discount. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Gently remind them you'll be back for maintenance and mechanical repairs. They make money on those things.

Dealership fixed the brakes (cut the rotors) and is ordering me a new key for free. Not complaining. :)

It's a 2009 Legacy 2.5i (no turbo) with a dealership package that gave me leather seats and a moon roof. 18k miles at the moment. :)

Dealership fixed the brakes (cut the rotors) and is ordering me a new key for free. Not complaining. :)

It's a 2009 Legacy 2.5i (no turbo) with a dealership package that gave me leather seats and a moon roof. 18k miles at the moment. :)

Is it just me thinking that brakes should not be shot with only eighteen thousand miles on the clock? That seems suspect. That said, could just be worn pads I guess. Good to hear you got it fixed.

Is it just me thinking that brakes should not be shot with only eighteen thousand miles on the clock? That seems suspect. That said, could just be worn pads I guess. Good to hear you got it fixed.

Same thought crossed my mind. Dealer in question buys these cars in large quantity, tacks about $1k on average to the price they paid, gives it a quick wash and re-sells it. I don't think anyone would have taken it on the highway up to 75mph to test the brakes.

So its really good pricing for the cars, but generally they're selling them 'as-is' unless something is so hosed it won't pass inspection.

Cheers,

--SJ