Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shuddering up hill!!

83 4x4 wagon 1.8l Ea81

I'm getting a clunk from my front passenger side suspension when I go over bumps. It's also shuddering when there's a load on it, I.e. Up hill, quick acceleration, 4 wheel drive, but it does it in both 4x4 and 4x2 modes. It's stock height and the struts where replaced less than 8 months ago. Could it be that the mechanic who replaced the strut just didn't tighten everything down correctly? or does this sound like something else? A CV maybe?

83 4x4 wagon 1.8l Ea81

I'm getting a clunk from my front passenger side suspension when I go over bumps. It's also shuddering when there's a load on it, I.e. Up hill, quick acceleration, 4 wheel drive, but it does it in both 4x4 and 4x2 modes. It's stock height and the struts where replaced less than 8 months ago. Could it be that the mechanic who replaced the strut just didn't tighten everything down correctly? or does this sound like something else? A CV maybe?

No reason you couldn't assure all nuts and bolts got tightened back up.. probably did but..

I replaced my struts and my "clunk" happens on drivers side when I turn hard left or right.. darndest thing. I have looked and looked and havn't figured out what the issue is... It has been that way for 2 years and keep trying to find the time and tear it down and do it again... but I have no idea why they do that.

How I planed on fixing mine: I picked up from same year rig, shock assembly (spring/strut/lower knuckle) will tear down and even note spring position as there is paint on the front of the spring-3 dots.. so not sure if that makes a difference (not a front end guy) but I will just have to re-do it and possibly get that clunk gone. But... in the last 3 months it just kind of went away.. not sure if that is good or bad, possibly time for another close inspection.

as for the shuddering.. if your putting power/load on the engine, clutch then you have to determine is it from that area or possibly a bad/out of balance wheel or? sounds like the clutch is jumping?

A Cv/axel? that would usually come with the normal clicking noise...but possibly under load it has a wobbel in it?

Possibly find another local roo enthusiest and they might have some ideas.

I hate to see posts not answered but I hate to answer wrong so just tossing out thoughts...

Maybe someone who really knows can jump in here and help you out.

Edited by Indrid cold