Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza seats into gen1 brat/brumby howto

Yesterday I installed imp seats into my brumby.

There was one wear hole in the driver's seat that my mate couldn't stand so he got new seats.

In New Zealand you need to retain the original seat rails or get the change certified. I chose option 1.

First, take an angle grinder and grind away the parts of the bottom seat rail of the new seats so that it can separate from the top rail. Remove and discard the bottom rail and the front/back adjusting stuff.

Then get four 500mm (approx, measure it) lengths of 20mm x 4mm or similar flat steel. Weld these across the impreza seat rails 275mm apart. They should be centred front to back, so approx 50mm from the ends of the rails.

Drill two 8mm holes in each new piece of bar, or tapping holes if you have an M8 tap. The first hole goes in the centre of the inside rail, the second goes 380mm along the bar from the first. The new seat rails are wider than the old ones, but the position of the inside rail remains unchanged. Ensure the holes are 275mm front to back.

Take eight 8mm x 20mm nuts and bolts and bolt the rails from your old seats onto the new seats. I welded the nuts in place, you could also leave them loose or tap holes.

Install the seats and enjoy.

The new seats go back slightly more and are slightly higher. This gives me the added advantages of slightly more leg room and the higher position makes resting my arm on top of the door more comfortable. :)

Unfortunately i forgot my camera, but I figure if you can grind and weld it won't be that hard to see what needs doing once you get the seats.

I just went for a bit of a spin around some bendies and the new seats make a huge difference, they just hold you right in place.