Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Gl-10 Hard start after warmup Running Super Rich

I have an 87' GL-10 that has been hard starting since I bought it... But with the new colder weather that has been amplified to almost a 30 sec pull on the starter. Plugs are black and new, I replaced all the ignition parts with NGK stuff as im a firm believer in NGK parts.

Im thinking its a Coolant sensor, but where is that bad boy? And if thats not it what are my other options?

Car has 120k on the ODO, and was running great even though rich up untill it got cold outside (below 40). The cold starting is a little rough but it starts. other then that there is a little oil bypass on the turbo, but not enough to worry yet.

Coolant sensor, indeed!

It is located on the back of the intake manifold under the turbo. Remove the '4wd turbo' plenum for easier access.

it will be there, with a brown plug that is the same style as the injector plugs.

if you have a hard time finding the part, you may cross-refference with some nissan 240sx

good luck!

Good deal Autobone still carries the sensors. Although it had to be ordered. hopefully Ill get better mileage now too.

hi, many times the connections are more at fault than the actual sensor, be sure to check for the green corosion that is usually on the connections ! and some times the green bad extends inside the insulation up the wires several inches, if you find this , just get an new connector with pigtails and cut back till you find good wire on the harness, and splice there. the connector is the same as FI connectors. another thing is the O2 sensor, if it is not working right it usually causes the FI to go rich rather than lean, your FI will like having proper signals from these 2 sensors.

Edited by ruparts

Found the Tell Tale Sensor what a pain in the rump roast. It shattered upon removal but was totally green from the sockets up about 3 inches! Replaced it all with a new sensor and a honda F/I plug... WAY better quality, and you dont have to worry as much about losing the retaining clip as it wraps around also the Honda F/I plug I Used has gasketing inside.

Talk about the fastest, cheapest and easiest + most effective fix i've ever done to a car.

200% better!