Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 81 fx

Hi everyone,

I do need your expertise. I obtained an EA81 which i think is from the FX model and has dual carbs and the heads with the switched valves.

I installed it in my Bug (replacing the EA71) and it goes like STINK :grin:

The problem i have is that both carbs are a bit wet on the outside - leaking a little fuel. Are these carburattors the same as the single carb on the "plain" EA81 ?

Any idea where i could purchase a repair kit (gasket kit) for those carbs?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Best regards from sunny Athens,

Boris

You mean EA81 RX. Those carbs are different from the single carb EA81s in that they are mechanical linkage carbs and probably jetted differently as well. Other than that a standard rebuild kit for a hitachi "should" be all that is needed to replace those leaking gaskets. Sounds like a fun motor. Im jealous of you guys over there. Those engines are impossible to find in the states.

Yes - you are *of course* right - RX is correct.

Thanks for the info. I'll try and get a couple of repair kits for the carbs.

As far as the luck is concerned - i suppose i was actually quite lucky. The Leon and Brat was never a big seller over here and most engines that are around were imported directly from Japan to be used in the VW T2 vans (the lawnmower aircooled engines were just not up to the task of hauling a ton of merchandize during 40 degrees celsius in the summer).

This is the only RX engine i have ever encountered. I spoke to one of the shops that used to convert the VWs to Subaru power, and even they said that only 3 or 4 ever found their way to Greece.

So i suppose this is something special - at least it is to me :)

Thks once again for the help.

Cheers

Boris