Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust Studs on EA82 - convert turbo-less to standard pipe?

Hi

Got myself into a jam. Bought a 88 loyale from a mechanic and it runs really well. Problem is that it used to be a turbo and he removed the turbo and some of the emissions parts. Everything passed but the CO carbon monoxide (double).

Car has a custom pipe that has no CAT , just the O sensors mounted in the pipe.

I tried to swap my other subbie 92 E82 Pipe (with a CAT) today and ran into the flanges being 90 degrees off. CAN'T get the studs out !! Tried locking two nuts but still can't get them out.

Anyone have any ideas. Will the pipe help reduce the CO ? He also routed the blow by pipes on the cam assemblies to a canister and has a custom intake tube.

Should I reroute those back onto a stock intake pipe?

Thanks

Edited by machthree

Just cut the studs off. The Non-turbo pipe will bolt to the other unused holes.

For intake, IDK....post pics and we can tell you.

Does the car have any guts? I would think it would be gutless with 7.7:1 compression and no turbo. Perhaps he put NA pistons in it?

I too am amazed it runs real well. You might want to post a photo of the engine compartment maybe we can tell more that way.

As for the studs AST makes a tool that grips onto them. (Assenmacher). Lots of the tool trucks (Snap-On, Matco, Mac) have these or can order them. If you can limp the car down here to Westminster I can give you a hand with it. Otherwise you could weld up and make a custom header with the flanges you have or have an exhaust shop do that.

The car runs better than any EA 82 I've seen. ?? It "had" a custom intake with a KN air filter. The cam covers have blow by tubes that he routed to a can (like a dragster). The PCV had been replaced with Plug. WyoTech guy built it as a project to rally.

I put the intake rubber from my 92 loyale and cam tubes back on it, with the pcv valve. I have the pipe from my 92 in the back, and just need to install the pipe by a muffler shop or someone. I'm hoping this will be enough to pass the CO emissions problem ?? I have 5 days left on the free re-test. The emissions people in Ft Collins are pretty incompetent.

ShawnW - I can drive the car down with no problem if you have a moment to spare. It would have to be after 6:00 pm as I work in Denver all day. What day works best?

Would you email me on your contact info so I can call you. Machthree@frii.com

Thanks for the help..