Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As suggested by Fuzpile I have reposted this with a new title. I have a 99 Legacy GT that has 415,000 kms on the original motor and transmission. Other than the HG's I have had no real hassles so far. I am anticipating that with this high mileage I will inevitably have issues before long. I am wondering what hassles there are with using jdm engines and transmissions. I have found a front clip from a 99 jdm wrx with the motor, trans, harness, ecu, everything. I have heard that there are issues with clearances around the steering column and of course the cross member will have to be swapped out. Will a cross member from an Impreza swap to a Legacy? I'm not really interested in making a career out of this, but I know it is not going to be a weekend job either. What really holds me back is whether it is even a smart idea to increase horsepower on a chassis with this many miles on it. Am I asking for trouble from the rest of the car when I subject it to higher stresses? Should I just suck it up and admit I suffer from turbo envy? For the price (3900 US) would I be further ahead to just find another car that has already had the work done? The same company also has a 95 jdm wrx with 40,000 kms for $6500.00 just sitting there gathering snow.......

Edited by allwheeldad
suggested by other member

Firstly, Your post title was intriguing to me yet I'm not the one who can help in this particular situation. Perhaps you could edit the title of an otherwise well displayed enigma to something like "rationale of upgrade or replacement"

or that sort.

For many a look into the future, for me a glimpse into my future comes into focuss as a WALL and I will hit it if I don't turn one way or another.

Good luck.