Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch advise for RX trans

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on which clutch to use for my car. Its a 90 Loyale with an 07 2.5 turbo motor and 85 RX transmission. The guy who built it supposedly put a spec stage 3 in it. What would be the best choice for a daily driven street car? Anyone have access to the part numbers? Thanks in advance! Dave

uummmmmm..... how is that tranny holding up at all? ticking time bomb. i would recommend converting to an ej trans sooner than later. but thats not what you asked right.:) if you wanna a daily driver clutch a stage 2 is a good middle ground. i personally like exedy because of their centrifugal wheights on the clutch plate splines. helps for high load torgue at higher rpms.

I've been wanting to go to an EJ trans, but have a difficult time determining which tranny would be the best bang for the buck. The car isnt really worth putting in a turbo tranny, but I've been having a tough time locating an RS tranny for a decent price. Any ideas?

If its truely an '85 RX trans, ditch it and get something else. The 85 and 86 RX transmissions were a part time 4wd dual range so it has 2wd, 4hi and 4lo. Not a great tranny for the pavement for something with that amount of power. Since its a '90, it has the larger transmission tunnel so stuffing the EJ tranny into it won't be that big of an issue, its just finding the parts to bolt it in.

I have a EJ22T, '98 Impreza 3.90 5mt and a 3.90 VLSD in my '87 (soon to be in the '89) RX. The reason for my decision to go with the '89 body is it has the bigger transmission tunnel for future 6mt STi trans swap.