Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch replacement on '85 GL

It's finally time to replace the clutch in my '85 GL wagon. I'm having some troubles with it slipping whenever I give it some gas, so my initial thought is the clutch.

I've done a little reading, and the only thing I've seen is that to replace the clutch, you need to pull the engine. It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to drop the transmission and change everything that way.

So I guess the question is, is it a good idea to go with dropping the transmission, or should I look into pulling the engine instead?

Pulling the engine is easy if you want to do other service like timing belt or engine selas. A motor can come out within one hour. if you are good, you can partially pull the motor and move it forward, leaving a lot of things still connected like throttle and heater core if you are just trying to slip in a new disc.

if you drop the trans, you may have to pop the ball joints to get the wiggle room to move the axlesm and contend with the shifter, driveshaft, and exhaust.

standing over the car with a crane is much easier than on your back in a puddle of gear oil

pull the radiator. umbolt engine and pitch bar. jack uo the trans to make the engine clear the motor ounts. have buddy pick u one side of the motor and move it forward away from the trans. tie a chan and a 2x4 and 2 piople can pul it out. 2 people can carry a soob motor, one person can squat to lift it into a 5gallon bucket to set it on.

you can drop the trans if you prefer, but i think cleverer ways to yank the motor is still easier than dropping the trans

pull the radiator. umbolt engine and pitch bar. jack uo the trans to make the engine clear the motor ounts. have buddy pick u one side of the motor and move it forward away from the trans. tie a chan and a 2x4 and 2 piople can pul it out. 2 people can carry a soob motor, one person can squat to lift it into a 5gallon bucket to set it on.

you can drop the trans if you prefer, but i think cleverer ways to yank the motor is still easier than dropping the trans

I will definitely be giving this a try before dropping anything. Thanks for the tips!