Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Phase II SOHC Coolant Temp Sender Compatibility?

Hi,

I bought a really cheap 2000 Outback whose owner had seized the engine by running it while unaware that it was leaking all of its oil.

The engine I have to put in it is from a 1999 Impreza 2.5RS. Both cars have Phase II EJ25 SOHC engines.

I'm using the Outback's intake manifold, throttle body and engine wiring harness because the Outback is a MAP intake system while the donor car was a MAF system. It looks like cam and crank sensors are the same part when I search for each car's sensors on subarupartsforyou.com.

The coolant temperature sensor on the crossover pipe, however, turns up different part numbers for each car:

1999 Impreza 2.5RS: 22630AA161

2000 Legacy Outback: 22630AA11A

Do I need to swap the original sensor onto the replacement engine? It's easy enough to do, but the newer engine has about 100,000 fewer miles on it, so I figure I should use as many of its parts as I can.

Thanks!

Is there any physical difference between the sensors? Size, connectors, thread?

The sensors will work the same, regardless of type or size, but if your wire harness fits one sensor and not the other, use the one that fits if possible.

Thanks for the replies. The physical attributes of the connector are the same, so the harness plugs right in. I also eventually found a multiple p/n listing for the sensor that lists alternate part numbers as the two I mentioned above. It looks like they're both the same, so I guess I'll start with running the newer one, as it's already installed in the crossover pipe that's on the newer engine. I'll know where to look if something's not working right.