Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm swaping a outback bumper onto my 96 legacy. i want to be able to use the lights in the bumper. my question is, is some/all the wiring for these already there to power the lights? if not what is involved. i'm only asking this because i know somtimes cars come with the same wiring but with different options. i'm hopeing this is the case and i can run these with little problems.

or should i just mount a set of hella 500's and forget about the outback lights.

I've wired a 95 Legacy Sedan and a 97 Legacy Wagon and neither was prewired for fog lamps. The original OEM fog light kit for the legacy came with switch, relay, wires and an installation diagram. I believe almost all of those fog lights on the Legacies were dealer installed.

I think I have a wire set that's about 80% complete that I pulled from a wreck before I found a NIB set on ebay. If you're interested I'll dig it out and see what is missing.

so are the light connectors the same on the legacy lights vs. the outback ones? is their alot of work involved in wiring them up? with the wiring you have, is it pretty much plug and play? if it's gonna be to much trouble i'll just put a set of hella's in there. i seen the wires at the junk yard on the outback for the lights and it looked like it was wired in with the factory harness and would be a pita to wire up. i was hopeing the wires were allready there

Yeah it would be nice if they were there, but the kit isn't too difficult if you can figure out electrical circuits. Took me about 1.5 hours the first time and about 45 minutes the second time including the lamp assemblies themselves.

The directions are straight forward but the connections are a bit hard to locate under the dashboard on the drivers side. It used 2 vampire clips to find out it the headlights are energized and low beams are on to throw the relay and a couple of plugs that go into the junction boxes. I think the only things I'm missing is the 10 gauge wires that pass though the firewall.

I can send you a copy of the wiring instructions if you PM me your email if you're interested in seeing it.

your lights look like a different setup. i know for sure my fog lights have 3 wires. the bulbs look to be similar to a regular headlight bulb. i think i'll do some more research and see what i can find. if it's gonna be a pita i'll just use a different set of lights.

ok i was wrong about the 3 wires. theirs only 2. so i'm going to just get the plugs for the lights at the junk yard and run my own wires through a relay and just use a switch. i was looking at my wiring for my hella's on my other subaru and i should be able to wire them the same way. would you happen to know what size wire to use for everything? the power is the biggest with a fuse(what size of fuse would i need?) and the wires to the lights are smaller with the 2 grounds being the smallest. i'm not really familiar on the gauge sizes of wiring.