Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Motor Mount and Clutch For ej22/ea82 swap

robcor2

Okay...my project is running....not well but running:banana:. There are some things I need to address.

Having a lot of movement with the engine. The motor mounts are not adequate and are not perfectly there. I have heard of shimming this??? Was wondering if anyone had any pictures of how this looks. Also is there another motor mount that could work?

There is a lot of lift in the front end when hardcore accelerating (laying serious rubber). Part of this is, the entire suspension is shot. Also the suspension is showing the 207k miles that the chassis has. I was wondering if I do replace the suspension all the way around, what should I put on there. It currently is not lifted and not slated for that until spring of next year and I just want to rod it around town for the next 6 months. So suggestions are welcome.

The clutch is adequate for now, but I will definitely need a new clutch soon. I have seen lots of "xt6" clutches and they range so far in price. What is the best economy/performance option for this?

In addition to this I of course had the front seal and oil pump seals go out in the first 20 mile trip. Of course these are a couple of the only seals I didn't replace when building the motor. Major lesson learned there, and now I know I can expect the rear main seal to blow soon too. :rolleyes: Lesson learned....replace ALL seals while it is on an engine stand.

Okay...my project is running....not well but running:banana:. There are some things I need to address.

Having a lot of movement with the engine. The motor mounts are not adequate and are not perfectly there. I have heard of shimming this??? Was wondering if anyone had any pictures of how this looks. Also is there another motor mount that could work?

There is a lot of lift in the front end when hardcore accelerating (laying serious rubber). Part of this is, the entire suspension is shot. Also the suspension is showing the 207k miles that the chassis has. I was wondering if I do replace the suspension all the way around, what should I put on there. It currently is not lifted and not slated for that until spring of next year and I just want to rod it around town for the next 6 months. So suggestions are welcome.

The clutch is adequate for now, but I will definitely need a new clutch soon. I have seen lots of "xt6" clutches and they range so far in price. What is the best economy/performance option for this?

In addition to this I of course had the front seal and oil pump seals go out in the first 20 mile trip. Of course these are a couple of the only seals I didn't replace when building the motor. Major lesson learned there, and now I know I can expect the rear main seal to blow soon too. :rolleyes: Lesson learned....replace ALL seals while it is on an engine stand.

I'm pretty sure I posted all of this before, so you could always try searching.

EJ mounts pretty much all fit. I went with STI motor mounts on my Brat swap, then I upgraded to Group N mounts later on. The STI motor mounts with a pitch stopper may have been good enough, and the Group N mounts with no pitch stopper were good enough. Having both is the best by far, though.

I don't know how it works on an EA82, but I was planning on stiffening the rear of the suspension to help with the lift you mention. I started to notice that with the Whiteline rear sway and stock torsion bar I had, the rear is stiff enough to cause snap oversteer, which I don't like. When I went to the STI 5-speed, the AWD seemed to cure any kind of problems caused by lift. If you don't want to do an AWD swap, then I'd recommend getting some Brat Turbo front springs. They'll drop and stiffen the front, which will help with the lift. Or you could cut your springs, but people will throw a big fit if you do that.

From my experience, the only clutch I found that was reliable is an XT6 clutch from the dealer. There may be others, but I went through a couple combos that caused problems before giving up and spending dealer money. The problem is that aftermarket providers sell the same clutch for XT6s as they do for any other EA82, even though the flywheel specs aren't the same.

Keep an eye on the rear main, but don't assume you'll have to replace it soon. It could hold out the longest.

Jacob

• 2 weeks later...