Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 loyale Automatic Transmission 3AT won't shift

I am having transmission shifting problems in my '93 loyale, 3AT, 191,xxx miles. All original. It does not shift into drive or 3rd. 1st and 2nd seem ok but no drive. I tried manual shifting but still will not shift in drive.

Dropped the transmission pan and replaced the filter. no metal in pan and fluid was clean. I try to keep it changed on a regular basis. Filled it up with new fluid and went for a drive. Same problem, will not shift into drive.

Checked the governor, cleaned and replaced. Same problem.

Changed the governor. Same problem.

I did notice the same time it stopped shifting it developed a miss. at idle it will miss. It never did that before. Thay both occured at the same time. Like one is affecting or causing the other.

Not getting a code on the ECM. I believe it is something simple and when I find one it will fix the other. Like a senser or something. I just do not know where to begin looking or checking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Checked the governor, cleaned and replaced. Same problem.

Changed the governor. Same problem.

Ok so the governor valve is bolted to a plate that should spin when the car is driven. If you just inspected and replaced the vavle, you could still have an issue with the gear.

What you are describing is a governor issue for sure.

So....did you actually pull the governor body out, and inspect the driven gear? Does the speedo work?

If the speedo works, then the teeth on the pinion that drive the governor are probably fine.

If you find the driven gear is stripped, you can knock out the roll pin that holds the gear on, and replace just the driven gear. $37 bucks from the dealership. Same for all years and models of 3AT.

I replaced the governor and the shaft with the gear. The gear I took out and the one I put on were both good. No apple coreing. I could not see inside but I did try and feel and the inside gear seemed ok. Speedo and tach both work find.

Have not checked the fluid in the modalator line or not changed the mod. valve. I will check that next.

Fixed!! I replaced the modulator valve. I did find a vacuum line completely off and another one that was split. Fixed one and will have to wait until tomorrow for a new line from O'Reillys. Drove today and the transmission shifts like it is suppose to. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I sure did learn alot.

On the the clicking starting problem.