Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings from Montana!

I got my first and only Subaru brand new back in 1981. In 1983, we were in a major wreck that they said should have killed me (very rudely rear ended by a Suburban going about 30 when we were at a standstill). My little car (a DL sedan) took the impact (although the trunk was virtually in the back seat) and held his ground. There was a line of cars in front of us and we didn't hit them. (BTW, he's blue so I know he is a boy.)

As all cars do, he sometimes needs repairs. I have no real explanation for it, but he never breaks down unless it's somewhere "safe" to get help. My personal explanation is that they accidentally made him with a heart!

My little car has been transformed into a higher mileage vehicle once again during the past few years as I commute to care for Jobie, a Black Angus Terrier that looks suspiciously like a bull to the untrained eye. I rescued him when he was a calf and, in the process of saving his life, he grew up to be a therapy animal that still plays with toys, rolls over to have his tummy rubbed, and doesn't mind being dressed up. Suppose I should mention he's 4 now and somewhere between 2500 and 3000 pounds. Who knows, perhaps you become a bit eccentric when you turn 50! :)

Anyway--glad to be here and look forward to learning more.

Welcome :) Since we havent completely been introduced, I have just been helping you get going on here :)

Im 92_Rugby_Subie - AKA Marshall.

I own Ned, a 1986 Subaru GL Sedan. I know hes a boy because he is blue, and I have never seen a girl named Ned. Hes got relatively low miles, about 173k.

I think Jobie is quite awesome :) I love the pic of him in goggles!

Hope you find what youre looking for. Feel free to leave me a visitor message (until you can Private Message) when youre looking for assistance.

As for how the forum works... There is very rarely a question posted here that hasnt been asked before... So I would recommend the search function to save forum space with brand new postings. However, if a posting is old, making a reference to it in a new post and asking questions is better than resurrecting the old thread.

Hope this helps!

Welcome :) Since we havent completely been introduced, I have just been helping you get going on here :)

Im 92_Rugby_Subie - AKA Marshall.

I own Ned, a 1986 Subaru GL Sedan. I know hes a boy because he is blue, and I have never seen a girl named Ned. Hes got relatively low miles, about 173k.

I think Jobie is quite awesome :) I love the pic of him in goggles!

Hope you find what youre looking for. Feel free to leave me a visitor message (until you can Private Message) when youre looking for assistance.

As for how the forum works... There is very rarely a question posted here that hasnt been asked before... So I would recommend the search function to save forum space with brand new postings. However, if a posting is old, making a reference to it in a new post and asking questions is better than resurrecting the old thread.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to you, we feel quite welcome! (Yes, I do discuss things with Jobie on each visit--scarey, but I'm pretty certain he does understand.) :)

I think people that DONT talk to animals are the insane ones! :banana:

I talk to just about every animal I encounter. Especially the ones I consider part of my family.

Without doubt, Jobie is part of my family. Most people don't remember my name, but call me Jobie's Mom, Bull Lady, or Red. :)

Perhaps a bit more elaboration is in order for those who may be concerned that I am exploiting a poor animal for personal gain. The Jobie phenomenon came about by accident.

I rescued him to keep him from starving to death. His first outfit was for purely pragmatic reasons--a coat to keep him warm and dry because he had no shelter (was not legally mine then). Many of his first toys were cast offs from other people because they enjoyed watching him play with toys.

Legally, Jobie is mine--bought and paid for. In reality, as one friend put it, Jobie is the Community Calf. The local organization that provides employment opportunities for adults with special needs has designated him as a "Community Resource". People in the cattle industry have, upon meeting him, declared that they don't know what he is, but he's definitely not a "livestock". We came up with "Black Angus Terrier" since he behaves much like a dog.

I spend a minimum of 10-12 hours, 365 days a year on all things Jobie. (Most of my days are 20 hours or more since I also work and take care of various needs for my 80+ year old father.) Jobie sends cards or letters to anyone who is in need or has an interest and does not have an opportunity to meet him. We do not charge for anything that he does (whether in person or long distance). We are fortunate that many people do "Recycle to Jobie" and give him excess produce or things like corn stalks--far better than having it go to the landfill! :) Jobie does take a significant part of my income (serious carrot addiction being only one part of that), but my personal choice has been to continue. I have seen the difference he makes. One of his special friends that did not (could not?) talk signed excitedly to Jobie while making "moo" sounds--the joy he expressed is hard to put into words. A stroke victim (never met the man, but we sent cards at someone else's request) said his first word ("cow"--gender wrong, but so what) after getting the cards. He has also been very educational for the children. Jobie actually seems to enjoy being dressed up or photographed with props--a "real ham" for the camera, if you will.

I do take safety precautions and ensure that there is a fence between Jobie and those that interact with him. He still does not know how big his feet are. I am the only one "at risk" and I feel comfortable and trusting enough that I can use him as a pillow.

Jobie's friends range in age from babies to 90+ year olds. They cross the entire spectrum of employment from professionals to the homeless. They also cross the entire spectrum of abilities and disabilities.

I am currently in the editing stages of a book of the daily letters that Jobie sent to his Grandma while she was in the rest home (trying to figure out how to edit the photos where we do not have model releases). The draft has been well received by children and adults, alike. I am not an egotist and would be happy if the book would simply help support Jobie, as well as provide entertainment and education to people.

As to the most important question, "Is Jobie happy?" I do believe that he is.