Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 with rod knock as first rebuild?

I've been thinking about getting an engine to rebuild as a project and learning process, since I've never done one before.

I saw an EA-81 with a rod knock for sale, but not knowing as much about engines as I'd like to, I'm not sure what the implications of that are, with regards to restoring the motor.

I'm one of those people that learns how something works best by taking it totally apart and putting it back together correctly, and I enjoy that process, but I also don't have a frame of reference as to how much money, time, and challenge I'd be looking at.

I'd love to hear some wisdom from guys who've done this stuff a lot.

And what would you pay for that engine if you decided to pick it up?

the ea81 is a nice simple motor to rebuild but does have some quirks compared to a inline or vee motor....pretty much all the quirks are due to the boxer layout.

if you do get one to rebuild get a subaru factory manual or failing that a Haynes manual (avoid a chiltons manual like the plague as they are full of mistakes/wrong information).

as for cost and time that all depends on whats exactly gone wrong and how good you are at playing mechanic

Id pay 100- 150 for that particular engine if its complete.

Set of pistons and rings on ebay run about $140

Main bearings $50

then a gasket set is $100-150

I really dont know what machine shops charge for crank and head work so that is a big variable. maby $400????

then what ever I forgot, rough estimate $800-$1000

Thats the best engine ever to work on in my opinion

Thanks, 81EA81, I'm looking at a complete EA81, a pair of reman heads, a polished crank, ea71 pistons, gaskets, alternator, starter, and maybe a few other little odds and ends. The price doesn't seem bad at all, based on your list.

I'm going to look at it all tomorrow, what should I be looking for / wary of?