Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Roll pin stuck ( and my punch, too)

There is a difference in lenght between the manual and auto transmisions. I believe the manual is a bit longer.

You can probably take the harness off the tranny you have already, ( i assume that it is a single range) and make the sensors work. The harness off the JY car is going to require the entire thing be changed and that is a major job. Figure out which wires you need to splice and go from there if you can't use the sensors off of your old one. Really, all you need is the neutral safety switch and reverse switch and that shouldn't be that big a deal to swap over.

Cheers and please use the right tools in the future. You could have saved yourself a bunch of time and trouble. A runch is a punch and a screw driver is for screws.

The tool lecture is well deserved, and I have now invested in a punch set. (I did get the screwdriver back, btw, the drill bit worked! Beer on me).

Anyone else have input on the axle question? Everything I've found suggests auto and manuals use the same axle...I don't want to make a purchase and mess with returns, though :P.

The tool lecture is well deserved, and I have now invested in a punch set. (I did get the screwdriver back, btw, the drill bit worked! Beer on me).

Anyone else have input on the axle question? Everything I've found suggests auto and manuals use the same axle...I don't want to make a purchase and mess with returns, though :P.

Indeed the same

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121306

Bah, between the google and the forum search function I was looking for something like that. All night...read a few similar things but not that one, that's the answer I'm looking for.

In reading around it seems there are a lot of common and a few less-common questions about axles, why isn't there an axle FAQ thread? Perhaps I'll put the questions together, and what seem to be answers and put it up for editing and later stickying???

Would this be at all useful to anyone else? (If nothing else than to save finger skin from repeating answers).

Probably the main reason that there is not a FAQ for axles is that they are really so simple, that there just isn't a need. Or every question that has been asked as already been answered.

What type and what year of car/trans are we talking about here? There is a difference between auto and manual axles, 23 splines compared to 25 splines, respectively. At least with the ea82 stuff. EJ stuff is a little different, and I have no idea about ea81 stuff. That should have come up in a simple search, as it has been asked MANY times, and answered MANY times as well. I have asked and answered that exact same question myself actually, so I KNOW that it will come up in a search. Out of the USRM, Page 2, answers the question about what is different between the axles (for ea82):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=642822&postcount=9

Didn't even search for that one.

What other questions about axles do you have? I am no expert but I have read a ton of threads about axles in the 2 years I have been on the board, and all the questions are usually about the same thing, and all the issues get solved. So I really don't know where the "lack of information is"...

Maybe try searching for different terms? IDK, but there always seems to be some confusion on searching, especially with the newer people on the board. Once you figure out how to use the search function on the board correctly, all the questions usually get answered by searching. At least that is what happened with me...

I also know that someone else had this same problem probably about a month ago, and they were told to get the correct punches and put the axle in correctly, and the issue was solved. Searching before hand you would have found out that you need the proper tools to start with, and you might not have had so much problems. Not to drive home the searching thing to hard, but search, search, search, and then use different terms, search some more, and keep searching, even after asking the question on the board. That's what I do, and it's been working great for me for the last 2 years or so... Haven't found a question that can't be answered or that hasn't been answered yet!

Probably the main reason that there is not a FAQ for axles is that they are really so simple, that there just isn't a need. Or every question that has been asked as already been answered.

What type and what year of car/trans are we talking about here? There is a difference between auto and manual axles, 23 splines compared to 25 splines, respectively. At least with the ea82 stuff. [snip] That should have come up in a simple search, as it has been asked MANY times, and answered MANY times as well. I have asked and answered that exact same question myself actually, so I KNOW that it will come up in a search. Out of the USRM, Page 2, answers the question about what is different between the axles (for ea82):

[snip]

I also know that someone else had this same problem probably about a month ago, and they were told to get the correct punches and put the axle in correctly, and the issue was solved. Searching before hand you would have found out that you need the proper tools to start with, and you might not have had so much problems. Not to drive home the searching thing to hard, but search, search, search, and then use different terms, search some more, and keep searching, even after asking the question on the board. That's what I do, and it's been working great for me for the last 2 years or so... Haven't found a question that can't be answered or that hasn't been answered yet!

The problem I had trying to find the information is not that I didn't search--it's that my searches turned up so MUCH information that it took me rather a long time to sort through it. I looked at the USRM (the 25/23 spline thingy was NOT my question--that is a turbo/naturally aspirated difference; not a manual/automatic difference). I did simple searches with a variety of terms. I did complex searches. I used the google ['search term' site: http://www.domain.com] function for this site. I used google in general. I looked at parts stores and junkyards online...I found a lot of information, just not the *one* fact that I was looking for. And I found a lot of information more than once.

The answer to my specific question was not at all easy to find--I suspected it existed somewhere, but it was just not forthcoming. The search function brought up threads but I can only see titles, not posts of interest [i noticed tonight I can request returns by posts, but it is too late now for last night's search]. While hunting for the answer I noticed what you said about most questions being asked many times--just not the question I was hunting for. Whether that is a fault of my search skills, or simply too much information being returned I don't know, but it did make me think there has to be a better way to do it than making everyone answer the same questions over and over. And over.

I did find the transmission wiring diagrams very quickly, btw, there is a reason I didn't bring that up again ;)

Oh, also...the reason I asked about the punch to start with is I discovered the search function doesn't work when I am signed in via my phone. Not sure why--you can enter a search term but it just goes back to the main usmb page when you hit 'go'. An FAQ page would also allow google to index it and non-members to read it, whereas the search function requires you to be at the site and signed in (no searching if you are logged out).

Anyway, not yelling--sorry if I sound angry, just laying out my reasoning a bit more thoroughly.

Edited by man on the moon

Anyway, not yelling--sorry if I sound angry, just laying out my reasoning a bit more thoroughly.

No worries my friend, didn't think you were yelling at all :)

I looked at the USRM (the 25/23 spline thingy was NOT my question--that is a turbo/naturally aspirated difference; not a manual/automatic difference).

Well, actually your question was if there was a difference between axles or not.

Just a couple dumb questions:

1--the AutoZone lookup thingy specified axle assemblies for automatic...is there a difference between at and mt? I can't see a difference, but I'm not in the mood to find out the hard way and a quick internet/forum search hasn't given me any satisfactory information either way.

So yes, there is a difference between turbo auto, non-turbo auto, turbo manual, and non-turbo manual transmissions. The 23-25 spline thing is certainly a difference between the trans', so that's why I mentioned it. You did not specify what you were actually looking for in your question, nor have you yet to mention what year car/trans we are dealing with as well. For all I know you have a 1990 turbo loyale with a 4eat (my old loyale). Without having this information, I was merely speculating/trying to help you out with mentioning some of the differences between the at/mt trans' that had not been mentioned.

I guess the bigger thing I was really getting at is that you didn't really clarify what you were looking for, so it's hard for people to help you out. With more facts and more background on the searching you have already done goes along ways in helping you answer your question. If I would have known more, I would have responded differently and not mentioned the 23-25 spline thing.

The problem I had trying to find the information is not that I didn't search--it's that my searches turned up so MUCH information that it took me rather a long time to sort through it.

I did simple searches with a variety of terms. I did complex searches. I used the google ['search term' site: http://www.domain.com] function for this site. I used google in general. I looked at parts stores and junkyards online...I found a lot of information, just not the *one* fact that I was looking for. And I found a lot of information more than once.

The answer to my specific question was not at all easy to find--I suspected it existed somewhere, but it was just not forthcoming. The search function brought up threads but I can only see titles, not posts of interest [i noticed tonight I can request returns by posts, but it is too late now for last night's search]. While hunting for the answer I noticed what you said about most questions being asked many times--just not the question I was hunting for. Whether that is a fault of my search skills, or simply too much information being returned I don't know, but it did make me think there has to be a better way to do it than making everyone answer the same questions over and over. And over.

Whoever said it was going to be easy? :lol: I never mentioned it would be easy or a quick find! There have been times where DAYS have gone by before I find my answer. I just keeping searching and digging, and searching and digging until I refine my question enough to get help, or I figure it out myself.

Here's a good example... I did this when I asked an interesting fuel injector question.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117696&highlight=fuel+injectors

This all took a couple of days of asking and searching before I figured out my question. And that was with HOURS of research on my own time. It's not always easy ;)

Oh, also...the reason I asked about the punch to start with is I discovered the search function doesn't work when I am signed in via my phone. Not sure why--you can enter a search term but it just goes back to the main usmb page when you hit 'go'. An FAQ page would also allow google to index it and non-members to read it, whereas the search function requires you to be at the site and signed in (no searching if you are logged out).

That is really weird. My iPhone works fine with searching and posting from my phone. What type of phone you do have? Are your cookies turned on?

Don't forget that we do still have these old things called desktop and laptop computers that work great for surfing the web :D I kid, I kid, hehe.

Well, to steer this back on topic here, I am glad you got everything all figure out with your trans. Well, at least it removed anyways :lol: So far, all the roll pins on my car seem to be coming out easy, I or my help haven't had any issues with them. Although when Turbone tried to get one of my roll pins out with a certain punch, the punch got stuck in the roll pin, just like yours did. But it was the correct size punch... So after getting the punch unstuck, Turbone went and grabbed his craftman punch of the same size and gave that a try, and there were no issues what so ever with that punch. Same size, just different manufacturer. And the punch that didn't work on my leggy, works fine on Turbone's rx :-\ Strange, but my car was very picky about having the absolutely correct size punch. Yours might be just a little bit picky like my bastard of a car was?? :)

I had the same frustrating problem. The answer was to find someone who

knew how to use a torch - heat the roll pin and drive out the three broken

pin punches, with a precise sized punch. Part of the problem was when

I put the pin in and the splines for the axle were off just a tad. Hence creating the bind. :Flame: