Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a daily driver, ended up with a project!

Putting down 120psi cold on all 4 cylinders, ran it for 20 minutes in the driveway with the temp gauge settling in the middle and no overheating, but water is steadily dripping out from the engine, slightly to the driver's side of center. Water pump?

The #2 cylinder has a heat damaged spark plug boot and a plug non fouler on it as well.

Based on some browsing over on Legacy BBS, I may throw a set of rings at it if I'm going to the trouble of pulling the engine to do the HGs. Apparently it's all of 2 hours more work, and the peace of mind would be worth it.

water leak could be water pump or external head gasket.. i wouldn't bother with rings, but thats just my opinion.. that involves splitting the case, and might as well do bearings if your in that far, etc etc.. u see what i'm getting at.. lol..

on a side note, action had 4 ea82 wagons and 1 legacy yesterday when i went down there..

yup seen the redneck legacybrat..

theres a nice lifted legacy wagon running around too.. maroon, roof rack, etc.. looked nice..

water leak could be water pump or external head gasket.. i wouldn't bother with rings, but thats just my opinion.. that involves splitting the case, and might as well do bearings if your in that far, etc etc.. u see what i'm getting at.. lol..

on a side note, action had 4 ea82 wagons and 1 legacy yesterday when i went down there..

yup seen the redneck legacybrat..

theres a nice lifted legacy wagon running around too.. maroon, roof rack, etc.. looked nice..

Yeah, as of right now it's sealed up with Prestone Super Sealer. I know, I know... but I want it driveable while I diag the suspension and chassis needs. I did it with the logic of "I'm going to pull the engine apart in due time, whats the harm in trying" and this stuff is the least nasty, in my experience, to get out of a cooling system.

I bought another set of jackstands (finally) so I'll be putting it on stands tomorrow and hopefully getting a feel for home much love the chassis needs. Brake pads, axles, tie rod ends, ball joints, diff leaks... who knows???

Has an ABS light on. Not sure how pressing that is, considering I'm not a fan of ABS as it is...

Putting down 120psi cold on all 4 cylinders, ran it for 20 minutes in the driveway with the temp gauge settling in the middle and no overheating, but water is steadily dripping out from the engine, slightly to the driver's side of center. Water pump?

The #2 cylinder has a heat damaged spark plug boot and a plug non fouler on it as well.

Based on some browsing over on Legacy BBS, I may throw a set of rings at it if I'm going to the trouble of pulling the engine to do the HGs. Apparently it's all of 2 hours more work, and the peace of mind would be worth it.

on the ea82 there is a short pipe that runs from atop the water pump to the top radiator hose. Check that the seal is good, and it is seated and snugged down properly before you go to the trouble of taking everything apart. If this its the legacy, I'm not sure.