Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cause of slight left wheel jerk at stops, slightly higher rolling resistance?

About two weeks ago I noticed that our Subaru Outback 2003 pulled the steering wheel slightly to the left when stopping at higher speeds (when stopping from 30-40 mph to a stop at a light, as opposed to a slow speed stop going into a driveway, where the pull isn’t noticed). I also noticed upon stopping moving in reverse a little suspension metal creaking noise from the left front wheel.

I also perceive very slight higher rolling resistance, and I’m usually quite accurate about picking up subtle changes in performance.

I’m having the car inspected and aligned as I post this.

The following things happened before I noticed this:

1) Brake pads replaced about two months before

2) Right before I noticed the change, went from 36 PSI 90% nitrogen 10% oxygen Costco tire fill in all wheels to 38 in all wheels. Oddly thought the car rolled with a little more resistance rather than less as the case should be

3) Had to make a very sharp 160 degree turn coming down a mountain and I’ve read that a very sharp turn can throw off alignment or loosen a tie rod end

I’ve thought of the following causes – which do you think most likely or can you think of another?

1) Loose left/driver’s side tie rod end which connects steering wheel to left front wheel

2) Left front brake caliper slightly touching when in motion and grabbing too tightly when stopping

3) Suspension issue left front

Sincerely appreciate any advice you can offer. You guys were awesome in helping ID and fix a trailer hitch issue and identify the source of a grease leak.

Sounds like the exact same symptoms as my '94 Legacy with a broken spring on the strut. ;)

Check both sides, but particularly the side that it pulls towards. It helps to jack the car up so that the suspension is fully extended, but be mindful of where your hands are at and make sure the car is supported properly. :eek:

Mine actually has *two* breaks in the spring, but you can't see the top one when the suspension is compressed. You couldn't really see the lower coil being broken either unless you poked around at it and made it move.

Broken lower coil:

picture.php?albumid=307&pictureid=3289

Broken upper coil:

picture.php?albumid=307&pictureid=3295

Broken springs are more common than people think. Most people don't notice for some reason.

You're on the right track though. This could be seized caliper slide bolts. The jerking feeling may be due to a warped rotor if the caliper is seized.

A good inspection of the front end should reveal the culprit.