Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Washigton new guy

Hello everyone I have been lurking here for a few weeks waiting to get my first subi home. I am going to pick it up tomorrow nothing too special just a 1986 GL wagon EA82 carbed 5spd DR. My dad and I also picked up a totaled 93 legacy wagon for parts for his 91 legacy wagon (complete harness swap his wont turn off unless the heater is off) but it will leave me with enough parts to do a ej22 swap to the 86. He also has a 91 loyale wagon spfi that I can get the fuel pump etc... from for the conversion to fuel injection. I have done the carbed to fuel injection swap before on a honda crx so I have a good idea what I am in for there. Also being as I only live about 20 minutes from bellingham where SJR is located I should be able to get the adapter plate fairly easily. Other plans for this include a 4" lift and I will be building custom bumpers, brushguard, and roof rack. Anyway I have been a ASE certified mechanic for about 18 years as well as working as a welder and fabricator for about the last 8. looking forward to getting this thing on the road and ready to wheel when I want yet still be a decent daily driver. it will mainly be my winter vehicle or when I need something to haul smaller items that wont require the 1 ton dually gas hog or that I cant fit in the little miata.

Welcome to the forum and the neighborhood!

Are you looking at doing some wheeling when you get your rig done? I'm a member of NW Washington Offroad(NWWO), we're a subaru offroad group and we're always open to new members. If you plan on wheeling at least once every couple months and want to join, you can get in on a free 2"lift, 1/2 price EJ adapter(courtesy of scott at SJR) and experienced help finding parts to get on the trail.

If you want help building a 4" lift we can help with that too

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127841

Even if you don't want to join us, don't be a stranger. Your more than welcome to come say hello to group..Our next meet is at the old GI Joes in mount vernon at 9am on 12/10/11. We'll be leaving around 9:30 to go wheeling up at walker valley ORV for the day. Scott of SJR might be there too!

Josh

that would be cool. I used to take the cj7 I had out wheeling at walker. I think I would go straight to the 4"lift but in my shop as I know my equipment and I should have most of any tools needed but I know more about lifting trucks than soobies. but from what I have seen they don't look all that hard. I am leaving my dads place in eastern WA in the morning and driving it home . look forward to meeting the rest of the local subie heads soon

I grew up around CJ's and lifted yotas, and yeah, lifting subarus is different. They're not hard to lift, but the tricky part is the strut blocks. If your off on these, your camber or castor can be off resulting in alignment problems that can't really be fixed, because neither is adjustable on a GL. I don't blame you for wanting to go straight to 4", I went to 6" and can't be happier. If you can make it out to our meeting spot, you'll get to see a couple different lifts and a couple different methods too. Hope to see you there

Josh