Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej Swap

Diablo9420

I have a 95 Impreza L (fwd) with a ej18 with 146k and its slow (im sure you know) and when i fix my truck im want to do an engine swap project. im thinking of a ej22 swap and im curious what i need to do, will the transmission bolt up or do i need a awd swap? and will it works if i put a awd swap in? what years are compatable? new ecu? etc. any help would be gratly appreciated

maybe you should trade your car for one that already has a 2.2 or a turbo. especially if it is a FWD. unless you have a whole car for parts, or you like to take your car apart instead of driving it.

everything bolts in. you will have to mix and match the intake manifold between them. if you go AWD, you have to swap the rear suspension. Give it up if you live in the rust belt.

well the car is my beater till i fix my pathfinder, then i want to have some fun with it and a project, so a swap seems to me like fun, i can find a awd parts car quite easily, mayb even use mine as the parts car, but my ending goal is to have a 5speed awd turbo, and i am currently having none of that, yes i live in the rust belt but idc, i can do body work if needed, i mean if i can take a turbo assembly off of a legacy or somethin id do that but idk if that would work or not and what would i have to do to my motor to support it

i'm talking about rust belt as far as being able to disassemble the rear end without breaking bolts, cutting parts, ripping out captive nuts, etc.

If you are ambitious enough, git'r'dun however it takes.

be mindful that slapping on a turbo, you won't be able to go boost crazy without blowing things up. if you want a turbo, you should source a tuyrbo engine and swap that in, or build the bottom end of your existing engine(s) with the right compression ratios.

Well my local junkyard has a legacy with a ej22 and im pretty sure its a turbo, didnt look that hard, has 80k on it i think, has a bad tranny and rusted body, and that would be the engine id be dropping in (93 legacy i believe) so im sure it can handle its own turbo and im not looking to make crazy boost just enough to have some fun, mayb eventually doing more, but if it is a turbo one will my ej18 ecu run it? and run it right or close to right? (as you can see i'm no expert). And i am the person who will sit there for hours on end trying to take a broken bolts out if needed lol

depends on the year and obd1 or obd2. dimentionally and physically either engine bolts up the same.

i forgot to mention you need to mod or swap the front engine crossmember to allow room for the turbo up-pipe.

see if you can pourchase the whole car from the salvage yard, as all the suspension will swap over with the crossmember.

int he end you may find it more economical to come up with an already turbo legacy.

just dont find yourself sinking $$$$ into a rusty car when you can buy a whole car as you want it for less $$$, or worse, dumping $$$$ into a rusty car that you ultimately wont be able to drive(abandoned project)