Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just crawled out from under my BRAT......

Suspension question. I was just under my 85 brat working on the thing when I looked up and noticed on the front center part of the axle there is a bolt sticking straight up with nothing attached to it. I looks as if it is supposed to have something on it. What is it attached to or supposed to? I looked on Subaru Parts Warehouse and see it looks as if a shock attached to it on the back side but the front side there is simply a description of "arm brat". I will look in my manual but it is pretty vague. It looks as if this is a counter balance or strut or something that would counter the trailing arms. There is no bracket on the bottom of the bed to attach anything to but there are "holes" torn in the bed from someone pulling the seat hardware (I think). I bought it as a project and have just now got to this part. The guy I bought it from just wanted to mud it and I am finding mud and "half assedness" everywhere. No Brats in the area to compare it to. Thanks for your help as always. :confused:

That isnt the axle, thats the rear subframe, it has the torsion bars for the rear trailing arms inside. The torsion bars are connected in the middle to a deal that has that bolt in it, and that bolt is actually to adjust the rear ride height. If you screw it in all the way, you can gain up to 2" over stock of ride height.

-Bill