Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to gamble, to part.. 81 wagon patts

I was going after some (spare) wheels and the vehicle they came from is an automatic, but good motor, or at least a running one.

Right at about scrap value, and a few yards that might take the leftover, or I scrap after stripping a lot.

At $400, shoulld I?

*definitely ea81. I can read the stamping.

Edited by kayoteq
horrible mobile phone typing aim

$400 is pushing it for a parts car IMHO, but its getting ridiculous to find EA81's. Offer parts to members here and you will do fine. Since its an auto its likely 2wd, and an '81 is not as desirable. But Im guessing if its auto then its not an EA71.

Let us know.

Sorry for the previous posting, poor mobile texting. ugh.

I really just want the motor, and even that's a iffy. I mean that in the most sincere realism despite reputation. It looks to be newer, a quad headlight grille , no center lamp crossmember.

Afraid this would be too much of a liability since I don't have a means of disposal. However, I know someone who might.

Details as I recall: red valve covers, clean enough to discern ea81 stamping,

good set of parts, or at least when I last saw it. Vultures were scavenging,

I begged them to leave the factory stuff alone.. sigh.

What bothers me is that motor. I don't want the trouble of the whole car, but

their argument is they can get nearly that at the scapper. I'd rather horse-trade them a old rusty s10 transmission for equal weight of ea81.. :)

(Have I mentioned I'm in East Tennessee, where such things are plausible)

Also, subies are more numerous around here..

with both realistic and deluded pricing..

But again, that brat up the road, id hate to miss out on it spending on this..

I have sources for evr'thing, even t-tops. Fellow in NC..

Just tempting to.have a car for the price of a gocart..

Maybe I can convince him my rim buy as partial..

:-)

Okay, now it's become the Subaru Wagon $100 Stripfest. Everything I can pull in one day.. not sure if that means 'and the motor if you can get it out', but

will try. (digs out manual)

Done with respect and care, but folks, that car ain't gonna have much when I'm done. Blue interior, btw. Taking requests, and no, the rocker panels are not intact. or the dash.

Now it gets interesting: betwixt this hour and then, let's get some removal methods studied! and a fresh can of liquid wrench.

Two people wrenching should be able to pull that engine in less then an hour. Since the car is going for scrap after take what good parts off the front end,(Grill, Headlights, radiator and such) then cut the rad support on the top at both ends. This gives you a little more room to work and makes it so you can lift the engine with two people, each one of you on a head then lift and wiggle. Thats if you dont have access to an engine lift or hoist.

Oh, i would have loved to get the motor, (1983), but was just me, and having a vw bug, familiar with the weight. nfw where I was..

To me, though, i am glad to have spares of what i could lift.

Next: plan visit to guy with 5spd h/l trans. Plan including lifting devices.

Edited by kayoteq