Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poor fuel mileage

hey guys bet your loving all my posts about my 83 subaru lol. Here's the biggest plaguing problem i have with the car..i get rougly 13 to 15mpg all around, have had several suggestions of probable causes: Timing is off, carb is out of adjustment, and my own personal suggestion, the e-brake not disengaging all the way. Here are some facts to keep in mind; the car has plenty of ************ n git power, operating temp is between what i think is 1/4 and 1/2, spark plugs have been gapped to .040, cap and rotor have been checked and cleaned up, no obvious vaccum leaks, carb and choke are perfectly operational, it idles very smoothly. i really love the beast, its awsome to drive, and just totally unconventional one of a kind looking.. Please help me get to the root of the problem, ITS KILLING MY WALLET!!!! P.S I'm going to try a basic tune up but doubt that could be the problem as the plugs still have plenty of electrode and they are Autolite 63's, the only real thing that looks bad is the rotor which i'm going to get.

well nothing yet, i'm having trouble trying to figure out how to adjust the weber/carter 1bbl carb, i'm thinking that is the problem cuz there is a light fuel odor coming from the car during driving, and no there isn't a fuel leak i've fixed that, any other possiblitys? its hard to start after i've driven it and it has sat for a bit like 20min or so, it sometimes surges and bucks on me at random times, once you get it up above 1750 it flys i'm totally baffled.history unkown about valve adjustments, i believe its an 83 engine... did i mention IT PURRS when it wants.

i was having a think about your mileage problems(yes...i was bored at work) and remembered my father once said he had a similar issue with a BSA Lighting motorcycle back in the late 60's....he had checked, set and replaced everything he could....turned out one of his cork filled brass carb floats had become fuel logged....it hadn't sunk but it sat lower in the fuel....and raised the fuel level in the carb fuel bowl without flooding fuel out the overflow.

his symptoms mirrored yours....idled nicely, was a bit of a pig to start if it was still warm/hot and it made a beeline for every fuel station in sight

so it might be worth checking your float height and float conditions

Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby
ma spelink sux da big bnana

• 2 weeks later...

YEEEEHAW!!! i have finally succeded in achieving perfect fuel mileage :headbang: i get low to mid 20's in town and 30 to 34 on the hiway, come to find out it was a clogged air filter LMAO how stupid can i be lol. i am running a 10w40 zinc synthetic in the ole beast and seems to me that the car is loving the oil, my oil pressure is better than ever and its using less oil. YEEEEEEEHAW!