Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine stalling at idle

Drove my '78 DL 250 miles round trip to the ski mountain today and for the last 50 miles of the return trip the engine would stall whenever I put the clutch in. Cruises just fine @ 60mph but as I slow down (coasting in 4th) I can hear a popping noise from the tailpipe. Acceleration is fine, but it won't idle at all. Cranks back up no problem as long as I give it some gas.

From what I can find in this forum, the likely culprit is one of the 900 vacuum lines connected to the carb (which I'll be checking tomorrow) or I need a rebuild. Is there anything in the idle circuit I can easily get to and clean without a complete teardown? I'm supposed to drive the car to the Oregon coast next weekend (~1000 miles round trip) and would love to have this taken care of by then.

I know someone will suggest ditching the stock carb in favor of a Webber, but that's not an option unless someone is willing to donate a carb!

On an hopefully unrelated note, does the small vent tube from fuel tank serve any purpose other than emissions? Mine is disconnected the tube is rock hard so it would be a bear to hook it back up.

Ditto on the slow jet. I pulled the top off my carb 3 times befor I realized there was an access hole there to clean it out.

I kept getting microscopic debri stuck in it when I first got my 74 going. Haven't had a problem with it since it's been run, but it doesn't take much to plug it up.

I cleaned the slow idle jets (primary and secondary) out yesterday, and it seems to have solved the problem. I didn't actually see anything in the jet holes but i sprayed the cavity out with carb cleaner real good too, so maybe there was something down there.

Thanks for the help!