Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Long time 5 speed swaps, what check engine lights if any?

Oh let's say for the sake of keeping this thing short I swapped to a 5 speed in a 94 lego. Are there any check engine lights that pop up because the missing auto trans, or does it not give a rats rump roast that it's missing.

If something does routinely pops up, are there some easyish fixes for it.

If you ground the appropriate pin on the ECU it knows it's a manual trans and will look for the neutral and clutch switch. If you have those hooked up to the right pins on the ECU it will be just the same as a manual car.

If you don't hook them up it will set a code but not turn on the Check Engine Light. It will stall if you push the clutch in while coasting.

The a/t to m/t swap I did on a 94 Turbo Wagon runs fine and has all the right sensors hooked up to the right spots. It wasn't that hard to wire it up right. The PITA with that job was a leaky speedo cable seal in the new trans which pumped gear oil into the dash. Couldn't replace the seal, so I converted it to a electronic speedo.

You wouldn't happen to remember what those pins are do you? I'm looking at my list of what each pin does, I have 3 that I'm thinking I should maybe deal with, one says it goes to the auto trans control unit, one says its the auto trans inhibitor switch and the last one is neutral switch.

I got to figure my solution resides within those 3 pins.