Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid loud intake noise, pretty gutless in upper rpm range

Am I off a tooth on my timing belt? starts and Idles fine, but it's got nothing to barely anything in the upper rpm range, and even hitting redline is damn near impossible past 1st or 2nd gear. And an intake noise to compete with the loudest fart can.

Its a new motor to me, so this totally may be possible a tooth is off. Oh and ej22 out of 94 Lego.

Going to pop it all off tomorrow but just wanted a second opinion.

Yeah that could do it. I had a MY95 2.2 with the same thing. It was the first change @ 60K done by a dealer. Took it back and they re-hung the belt and all was well. As soon as it hit higher revs, no power and a massive intake noise.

yup, one tooth off on the drivers side. I mean come on, i know we all can't be subaru mechanics, but they even put the marks on the damn timing belt. :)

all is well, no more crazy intake noise, much quicker throttle response off idle but wont get to drive it until tomorrow to be completely sure. But I have money on that it fixed it. :D