Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Newb or FNG, whichever one prefers

Bought an 88 GL Wagon (fondly named the Silver Bullet) earlier this month for $1200. Has 167k on it. After driving it for a week, the front right wheel well progressively sounded more like a poorly balanced washing machine on spin cycle, plus the telltale clicking a failing CV makes, or so I thought. Went to pull the axle off to replace and, upon introducing the shiny new 36mm socket attached to the 1/2" breaker bar, the spindle nut came loose merely from the weight of the breaker bar. So much for 148ft/lbs of torque. Further discovered the hard washer behind the spindle nut was missing. Had a local alignment shop inspect the axle who determined the axle should still be good, so I will re-install said axle soon along with the shiny new hard washer I now have in my possession. Hoping that including the necessary hardware will remedy all the racket from that wheel well, but I'm not holding my breath. Worst case scenario will be new axle and bearings. Should be back on the road soon and start enjoying better mileage than my '91 3/4T 4x4 11.5mpg 6000 pound Suburban.

Parking the Subur for the Subie. I like it.