Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP ME!!!! Timing or something else

Well here's the story in short.. My pickup module on my 83 EA81 Hitachi powered subaru went out so i replaced it and the coil. In my stupidity of life i accidently timed it with the valve marks not the timing and then realized oops i did it wrong so then went back and timed it with timing marks... well it will start and run ONLY with pedal floored, no other way, it only spits and sputters not actual run.. what is wrong??? it isn't 360 degrees out, already ironed that out. please help me, my poor lemon drop is making me mad LOL..

post-34815-13602765534_thumb.jpg

I think you meant to say its not 180 out. 360 out is "spot on".

Essentially I think its 90 degrees off and the timing is all the way retarded or advanced to have it there and run the way you describe. You didn't remove the spark plug wires from the cap (incorrect firing order)?

I would just start over. Pull the front passenger spark plug (1) and turn the engine over until you feel compression and the piston reaches TDC. Look at where the rotor is pointed and verify that its pointed at the #1 spark plug wires spot inside the cap. Then verify the firing order of 1,3,2,4 going around, and set the timing (pull vac line).