Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just found something really interesting

I have a 79 wagon automatic that I bought a couple years ago. I have been driving it here and there, but messing with my Brat more. I went to hop in it the other day and had no brake pedal, went right to the floor. As I was investigating I found that the drivers rear had fluid pouring out of it...no biggie. When I went to check the master cylinder that's when I found something really interesting....the oil fill neck was rubbing on the master cylinder! I can't believe I didn't notice it before... somebody had put an ea 81 filler neck on it...I want to post a pic but it's fighting me.... then I found most interesting thing ....the pitch stop Rod is cut on the engine side and gone from the firewall... ever since I bought this car it had a clunk when I put it into gear ...I just thought it was a bad mount that I would get around to someday......the rod mount on the engine is off to the side where it's in the middle on the firewall... does anybody have a picture of the proper way that the pitch rod is supposed to be... and better yet does anybody have one that they could sell me and a ea 71 fill neck as well. Thanks

post-28156-136027656245_thumb.jpg

post-28156-136027656251_thumb.jpg

post-28156-136027656256_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNOPPER
added pictures

sounds good,....but i think something is wierd with mine....every picture i find shows the bell housing rod mount in the middle, but mine has an access hole cut in the top and the rod mount off to the side, like the newer models...not sure if something has been changed...need to find a picture and rod from an automatic....