Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill Holder disconnected but still leaking?

I have been battling this brake fluid leak on my 87 GL Hatch ( 4 speed standard ) and even with help from other board members and friends at the WCSS shows.... and still no luck. we thought it was the master cylinder but after replacing that last night and attempting to bleed the brakes and such it was still leaking bad. Come to find out that the leak was coming from under the master cylinder as well. Which happens to be the hill holder, more specifically the seals are shot.:banghead: So i need some help on how to either find another hill holder that doesnt leak like a faucet or a way to bypass it completely. ( keep in mind that the clutch cable portion is disconnected already.... which is what dumbfounds me that the damn thing still leaks ) Thank you for any help and or ideas. :-\

I don't have one to look at, but how many brake lines are hooked to it? You either need a couple metric flare unions or a 3 way junction block. Is there one line or two coming from the master cylinder down to the hill-holder? If there's two coming in and two coming out of the hill holder, use the flare unions to join them together. If there's only 3, there' one input and two outputs, so use a junction block.

The only function the hill holder valve serves is blocking the return flow from one front and one rear brake. Replacing it with a junction block won't effect the braking.

And Shawn thanks haha i figured that one out the hard way :P lol i didnt read your post in time before trying it. lol im either going to purchase a new hill holder through Roopair in tacoma ( yes i mean NEW new. ) or just bypass the damn thing all together with the three way junction block as mentioned. (: thank you all for your help.

-Keep on keepin on. (: