Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch replaced, popping out of gear, help?

Hey team,

1991 legacy non-turbo awd. 260,xxx miles.

a few months ago she started to pop out of 4th sporadically, then started to do it constantly. I just dealt with it and held it in gear and hopped to 5th a bit quicker than normal. Wed, last week, on my way to work, half-way there, she would not go into gear at all. I pulled over played with the clutch cable nuts a bit, did not help. Towed to my mechanic. He tells me I need a new clutch. I should not be putting more $$ into this car, but went for the $650 fix for now. I get her back and the pedal seemed very spongy and thought well, maybe they adjusted the clutch cable correctly after I had it incorrect for so long. I take her out and sure enough, still popping out of 4th. But now it is popping out of 3rd and 5th as well--which it had never done before! I have been messing with the clutch pedal to no avail over the weekend.

After perusing the site, it seems I should not jump to the conclusion that it is the tranny, but maybe mounts or bushings?

Where should I go next?

Thanks in advance